Topic

MYOG Bivy — Need zipper backing/stiffener?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Bivy — Need zipper backing/stiffener?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

I'm about to order materials to make a bivy sack. For those who have made one, or who own one, can you tell me if there is any need to incorporate a zipper backing/stiffener, like they use in sleeping bags, along the zipper?

Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You can call it a backing/stiffener, or you can call it a no-snag strip. If the main fabric is thin and snagable like I expect, it would be a good idea to have such a strip as long as it doesn't get too heavy.

I started with 9.4 ounces of Momentum fabric in full width. By the time it gets tapered down to mummy shape, the weight of some grosgrain shouldn't hurt much.

–B.G.–

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

It depends –

If you sew the fabric to the edge of the zipper material, as opposed to the "pro way" of right up close, and your fabric isn't SUL gossamer, and you are careful, I think you'll do fine.

Having a double-sided zipper or an "around the end" zipper pull will also help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools