Topic

First “Top Bag”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) First “Top Bag”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    dan kutcher

@danscapes49

Though it wasn’t called a “Top Bag” when it was first offered, I believe that the Stephenson Warmlite bag was the first bag on the market to dispense with the insulation in the bottom of the bag because the premise was that the pad would provide the warmth as well as the cushion. I bought mine in 1987. It had been on the market for over 20 years then.

One of the feature stories on the Home page states that MacPac from New Zealand was the first.

Another exception I can think of (though, again, it’s not called a “Top Bag”) is the Feathered Friends Great Auk. I bought one of those in 1993.

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

I used to own a Therm-A-Nest Ridge Runner by Cascade Designs. It had some synthetic insulation on top and a cloth pouch on the bottom for a short pad. Was rated to 40 deg., but I took it down into the upper 20’s more than once.

This had to be in the latter 80’s.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools