Topic

Richard Proenneke

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Richard Proenneke

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

I have no doubt many of you know of Dick Proenneke and his life and time in ALASKA

I recently stumbled upon the whole documentary aired on local TV. It was awesome and his pack was sure interesting from a UL standpoint.

Proenneke

anyhow just sharing with BPLers!

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

These are great. Thank you.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

The movie/doco was great, watch it a few times a year.

Oh to live as simple as that hey!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Nice film indeed! All his own camera work … perhaps an inspiration to Les Stroud?

The "book" pretty much parallels the film. The NPS printed a followup, a much more extensive set of his journals … even more interesting than the original with a broader description of his life. I was about say that it was out of print and d**m hard to find (and only for big $$$) but now that I look again I see it's back! More readings from One Man's Wilderness

his pack was sure interesting from a UL standpoint.

I used to own that model military surplus pack frame! Was great for carrying the kind of things Proenneke was bringing to his building site.

UL perspective? I suppose it's all in how you look at it. IIRC, the building site was a few miles from the nearest place his bush pilot could land and he hauled the entire load in 2 or 3 trips. That's all the tools he used to build the cabin plus at least a couple weeks of food (he did get resupplied now and then). Compare that to what the typical modern "craftsman" would bring to that kind of job and you might conclude he was going pretty light!

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

Oh definitely inspiration for the modern Bear Stroud/ Les Grylls natural documentaries. Hmm maybe that book is worth looking into.

In reference to his pack I was thinking of the small day pack he carries around snowshoeing. It looks like a canvas cape with pockets… I have carried a similar large pack designed for trail maintenance gear. They rock for carrying large tools! His larger pack is definitely lighter than your modern craftsman since he fashioned all his handles and that mallet.

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Watching this tonight, makes time indoors go by quickly

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I also own the book and complete DVD collection. Very entertaining I watch it over and over. He is one of my heros

Jennifer W
    BPL Member

@tothetrail

Locale: So. Cal.

Just got to visit his cabin this summer. This was a lifelong dream, and when I learned it was part of the National Park System, I knew it would happen one day. It is incredible how much of his original belongings are still there. The cabin was much smaller than I imagined. I'd love to go back and spend some time hiking around that area.PanoLooking InStoveDeskBalance RockStamp Cabin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools