Topic

Dyeing a backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Dyeing a backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I'm quite jealous of this upcoming Yosemite trip Mr. Tang and Mr. Graf are taking soon… baby blue Jam2 and all. Can we expect a trip report?

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Where do you buy rit dye?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

@ Jeffrey,

Go to your local fabric store for the largest variety of dye. I found and purchased my RIT brand dye at Joann Fabrics. Most Walmarts have a fabric and sewing section, you can find RIT dye there as well. It's readily available. I dyed a hydration pack with the powder to see how it performed in comparison to the liquid dye and I greatly preferred the results with the Liquid RIT dye. Just my experience though.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ummm… what I meant up above is that if I had a baby blue color pack, then yes, I would definitely dye it something else!!

Jeff Antig

@antig

Thanks Eugene. It seems like it's hard to mess up using black. I'll deviate and try brown though.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

Jeffrey,

I dyed my GG Gorilla Brown and am happy with it….I used the liquid RIT (purchased at Wal-Mart) and had very good results (no missed spots – very uniform color)

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Well, maybe now I'll leave the pack baby blue…….too much conformity around here! ; )

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Well, maybe now I'll leave the pack baby blue…….too much conformity around here!"

Yup. How about a matching pair of Crocs?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

David. Think tie dye!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Watch out Ken…….or you'll get a package on your door step with a note requesting a complimentary backpack dye job!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I'll do it if you want. My choice of color!? I'm thinking pink!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

That will go great with my crocs!

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

Bender,

I know what you mean about a company with the word lite in their name. I recently bought the newest Jam, and it was the heaviest yet at 31 oz! My Osprey Exos is only 3 oz heavier (after mods) and Waaaaaaaaay more comfortable. What is GoLite thinking? The original Jam was only something like 20 oz and has steadily gotten heavier. Of course it doesn't help that the naming went Jam, Jam2 then Jam again, what happended to Jam3 or jam cubed or something.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey Guys, excellent job on the packs!! I was going to dye a pack a while back and did some research online. Apparently a woman did a lot of experiments with rit dye, combining them to formulate new shades. I figured this would be helpful to someone, so heres a link to her blog and her dye recipes

http://paintedthreadsprojects.blogspot.com/2008/12/mixing-rit-dye.html

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Tie dye would be soooo coooooolll!

Any ideas?

Jeff Antig

@antig

Are you guys using the Rit Color Remover before you dye ?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

No on using the remover. Would use it if I got something dyed by mistake,sock or something else missed in the washer.

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Konrad, Thanks

That link on making your own colors is awesome!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Cool! no problem, I'm glad I could help. Now the more important question…what color will you dye your next pack? Will it be Olive Drab….or perhaps Eggplant :D

Frank Steele

@knarfster

I will be dying some MH Mesa Convertible pants "green" so I an wear them as Scout Pants, Much nicer than what the BSA offers.

D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Locale: Sunny SoCal

Can you dye cuben? Will the fibers accept the RIT?

couch

any examples out there….these seemed to be exclusively dyneema blends.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

We use to dye white delrin parts with a combination of boiling water and finger nail polish remover and RIT dye.The results would be a subdued color only on the surface.

Delrin is not suppose to take to dyeing like dyneema grid in less the colors is mixed in when moulding.

The finger nail polish would soften surface of the delrin and would allow the polymer to take the dye but when dropped or it hit the ground it could scrape off the color and you would see white delrin .

I would only try this on a scrap of dyneema grid fabric to see how it works in to see what the side effects from the finger nail polish
    remover are to the nylon and urethane coating. Then when it drys see if it scrape off or did it dye the full penetrate dyneema fiber .

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=37448

I covered the woven/dyneema spectra in detail here., although Dan McHale commented on another thread to indicate that "dying was a loose term" and implied that it was actually a paint or coating.

Only two methods I'm aware of are some type of polymerization for the 100% woven dyneema/spectra, or acid etched/treated solid UHMWPE.

Cuben you'd be attempting to pigmenting the Mylar laminate on the outside of the spectra. Spray paint might work ;P

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

As a weekend project I decided to dye my granite gear vapor Ki.

Here is a stock image of the pack as delivered to me:

vapor ki

Because the purple color was wayyy too masculine for me, I decided to tone it down some with 3 bottles of Rit Dye.
    Using the same method as described in this thread, I was able to achieve the following result after 2 hours of toiling over a hot black water filled caldron:
    blackfront

Why the Vapor Ki women's version you ask? Because the one thing I never liked about the Men's VT was the non-existence of any storage pockets. The Vapor Ki solves this by adding 2 zip pockets on both sides, above the side stretch pockets. I was able to confirm with GrG that their harness and back lengths are the same for both female and male packs; so once I get a male hipbelt on this pack, the pack will be strong enough for a man, but made for a …man?
    newpockets

After reading about Tom's mishap with his VT leaking dye from the soft cushion padding, I made it a point to make sure all the loose dye was out of my pack. That equated to me using 9 bathtubs full of water (a couple of those had laundry detergent in them too), and the repeated stomping of the harness and backpanel as if I were opening up my own winery in my bathroom. Crossing my fingers!

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Don't you mean VADER Ki? :)

The blackout treatment looks great Konrad!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!