Topic

Need Ideas for MYOG quilt, please share.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need Ideas for MYOG quilt, please share.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Peter O
    BPL Member

@shouse

Locale: Texas!

I've been brewing over my 2 person quilt for some time now. Finally decided to stop waiting for Apex and bite the bullet on the .9oz ripstop OWFINC will have available. Insulation will be climashield green.
    I'm looking for ideas on how to form my convertible footstop. I'm not too fond of the drawstring footbox but I would like to see as many examples as possible. So if you have pictures and details of your own MYOG quilt, post away please.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Here is the pattern along with the one at thru-hiker, used with down. Agree that the draw string never worked great. Finally just closed off the bottom and added a foot box.

http://home.comcast.net/~neatoman/quilt.htm

http://thru-hiker.com/projects/down_quilt.php

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561713820vwSrLL

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/572953260iPmbJb

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

Just one example of a DIY rectangle footbox that I made recently – 30d ripstop with Climashield Green (3oz) as insulation.

Quilt Footbox

You can find more information on the whole project here: http://backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com/apps/blog/show/3093255-summer-top-quilt

Paul Elliott

@paulelliott

I have a drawstring for my feet, but it's not the same as what's normally done since my quilt is integrated with the sleeping pad. Maybe this will give you some ideas.
    http://www.comfortablylight.com/TQ-30/
    skip to 2/3rds down to the picture where the quilt and pad are upside down.

will samsky

@wsamsky

Locale: Sunny Arizona

im in the same boat, was going to order the jay jardine kit but haven't bitten the bullet yet as he doesn't advertise a weight. Do you know what temp range the quilt will be with climashield green?

Also not to hijack the thread but i was contemplating buying a old down sleeping bag off ebay and turning it into a 2p quilt any thoughts/ideas on this?

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Here are some pics of how I did mine. Yes its a draw cord, but I am a big fan of the draw cord because it lets you lay the quilt out. On cold mornings it is easy to wrap it around me like a blanket.

LytW8_Quilt

Jamie

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

How you do the footbox depends on a couple of personal issues. Do you want to be able to open it out for drying/airing? Since you want a double quilt, is your partner shorter than you. If you answer yes to both questions, you may want a simple zippered foot 16" high with the zipper closing the bottom for another 18 inches or so. This does not form a "box", but will have room for one person's feet (the taller of the two). The shorter person doesn't need a foot box at all.

Peter O
    BPL Member

@shouse

I believe the green has about the same temp rating as the XP…so 45F at the lowest I believe. Definitely a summer quilt. They have HL too.

I wouldn't do Ray Jardine's and I wouldn't buy a sleeping bag to convert into a quilt. I believe OWIFNC or thruhiker is the way to go.

Peter O
    BPL Member

@shouse

awesome website man. Can't help but think of Ronnie Coleman when you see it. LIGHT WEIGHT BABY!!!

Paul Nanian

@paulnanian

clo values for climashield continuous filament insulations

climashield green: 0.63
    climashield hl: 0.68
    climashield combat: 0.78
    climashield xp: 0.82
    climashield apex: 0.82

Peter O
    BPL Member

@shouse

mmm not exactly what I expected. Thought green was closer to XP and Apex higher than XP.

Andrew Meeks
    BPL Member

@growler

Locale: The NorthEast

Jamie, What was your method for creating the collar for the drawstring? Did you add it after you sewed the nylon together, or did you layer it in when joining everything together.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

We've been using a Jardine quilt, from a kit, for some years now and are very happy with it. With the alpine upgrade it is comfortable down to below freezing with light clothing on. We've never used it much below that, except once in much colder weather when we put another thin quilt on top (<15 degrees F).

It weighs about 2lbs 11 oz (with split-zip and draft stopper), but this was made with an older type of insulation, and modern kits use lighter insulation.

Since then I've made a few more synthetic quilts based on the Jardine design (with minor modifications), and am very happy with them.

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Andrew, The chamber for the drawcord was fairly simple, but the steps are important. After the baffles are sewn to both sides I lined up the two pieces of fabric on one of the long sides. Then I double folded the two edges by 1/4 inch and sewed a seam about 1/8" from the edge. This joins the two pieces of fabric together along one of the long edges.

Next I sewed the drawcord chambers. To do this I folded the fabric once by 1/4" inch then folded again by 1/2". I sewed a seam 1/8" from the edge of the fold. This leaves a chamber that is 3/8" wide. The trick is: do not complete this seam on the open side. Stop about 1" from the last set of open edges. Do the same for the other drawcord end. Now you have a quilt with 3 of the 4 edges sewn leaving the 4 open edge for filling.

Next fill the chambers with down. Now double fold the long open edge (edge where you filled the down) by 1/4" and sew 1/8" (middle of double fold). Now you have a sealed quilt, but you have to go back and finish the draw cord chambers by sewing the last 1" of seam. The drawcord chambers are finshed. Now push the drawcord through with a small safety pin.

This does leave the edge folded inside the chamber exposed to the drawcord. Over time this might promote fraying. To prevent this I made sure to sear the edges of the fabric. I have experienced no fraying what so ever. Another approach would be to double fold the drawcord edge by 1/4" then fold a third time by 1/2".

Here is a simple diagram.

quilt drawcord chamber

Jamie

Andrew Meeks
    BPL Member

@growler

Locale: The NorthEast

Actually, a diagram or picture would really help.

Also, a general question, for the outer layer, is there any issue with using a coated nylon? I have some scraps to fool around with, but only enough uncoated for one side, and some coated nylon I picked up from walmart a long time ago. I have seen cuben quilts, so I am assuming it wont be an issue for the outside?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

if you use breathable material on the inside and non-breathable material on the outside you will be trapping moisture in the insulation. My cuben quilts use non-breathable material on both sides keeping the insulation dry and functioning as a vapor barrier. If you want a VB quilt use the coated stuff on the inside and the uncoated on the outside, however VB isn't for everyone.

-Tim

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools