Topic

GYE Traverse

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips GYE Traverse

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

May will be the 12th month of my campaign to visit Yellowstone NP in every month of the year. It is also when I will graduate from grad school, ergo I want to end both projects with a bang.

I want to backpack across the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, S-N or N-S. While late May will mean high streams and a good bit of snow, it's the only time available, as I will need to get a realy job soon, and asking for 10 days off straight away is not the most efficacious tactic.

So I am looking for two things:

-willing partner(s)
    -route input

I want to do good miles each day, but also plenty of photography and hanging out. Conditions will be on the challenging side, and the weather unpredicatable. Strong senses of humor and adventure are mandatory. I live in Montana, so the logistics should be pretty workable.

As for the route, my rough plan is as follows. Start at Moran Junction, up Pacific Creek, down Atlantic Creek, down the Thorofare, east coast of Yellowstone Lake, Howard Eaton on east side of Yellowstone River, Wapiti Lake, XC to Specimen Ridge, Slough Creek, Wounded Man Creek, Stillwater River, Woodbine TH. The YNP portion I'm familiar with, and like that route. The Teton Wilderness and Absaroka sections, not at all. I'm trying to balance good scenery and variety with a route low enough that things like snowshoes and ice axes would not be needed.

Feedback appreciated.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

This is a delightful sounding trip. Presumably could be quite bold within the May time frame I think. I'm new enough to the GYE that I won't comment specifically on any of these spots as they're outside of where I've been doing most of my backpacking but playing connect the dots on the topo maps in my head with the points you've mentioned seems like this will be a winning route.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Anyone with feedback as to snow levels and especially river crossings (along the Thorofare) would be appreciated.

I may be able to borrow an Alpacka for this. That being the case, I may snowshoe over Mt. Washburn, hike down the Black Canyon of the Yellowstone, then float to Livingston and take the 'hound back home. Would save my wife a trip to come fetch me. On the other hand, missing out on the Absarokas makes it less elegant.

Still thinking, but the gnar factor of spring has its appeal.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Sounds fantastic. Good luck with it and I'll be watching for a video.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools