Topic

Sawtooths (Sawteeth?) temperature

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Sawtooths (Sawteeth?) temperature

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

I’m headed to Idaho’s Sawtooth Mountains for a 6-day 70 mile trek that hopefully will include bagging Thompson Peak. We’ll be on the trail 8/15-8/20. Does anyone have any idea what kind of low temps we should expect between 8000-10000 feet? We’re assuming 20s, but any educated guesses would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ben

John Smith

@nwskiboy

Hey Ben,

Your estimate on the temperatures are right on. 30’s – 40’s are standard for that time of the year with below 30 at the highest elevations with a bit of wind. You might check this website. http://www.avalanche.org/~svavctr/ Check out the weather stations when you get closer to your trip date. I think you can look at temp history’s for past years as well. Might check with the FS before your trip. Snow pack is 150 – 175 % of normal this year in the sawtooths. It will be interesting to see if the higher trails melt out at all this year. Were going up this weekend memorial day for a hike / snowshoe trip up the payette river so will update you on the snowpack when we return. Happy Hiking!

Joel Idaho City, ID

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Joel,

Thanks very much for the informative reply! I’ll look forward to your trail conditions report… I’m hoping that by mid-August, everything will be ok…

Ben

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools