Topic

A quilt by any other name

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique A quilt by any other name

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Reading this thread I cannot stop thinking of Fight Club.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

"In the end, if a term goes into common usage, trying to expunge it is like "boltin' the barn door after the horse has already gotten out,""

Well, I'm not aiming to expunge it, I was more just curious about its origins. And you don't have to expunge a word for a more catchy term to catch on. I still like burrito/burro or hot dog, but would settle for Doona ;)

And I agree, Jardine's original design was indeed quilted, so the term seemed appropriate when applied to THAT item.

Anyhow, I'm a top-bag user (errrr, sleeping bag with an uninsulated bottom I mean) most of the time, so it really is academic! Although I've just received a new sleep system that is gonna be hard to name! I think it's a hoodless, zipperless, bottomless waterproof, windproof, baffled down sleeping bag that can also be used as a duvet :0

M Carrara

@utilisateur

Strange reason to finally register but here it comes

Duvet is a term of french origin and means down,
    so quilt is at least etymologically closer be it as "mattress with soft lining" or "thick outer bed covering"
    and retranslates correctly to couette (comforter).

I've been calling mine a quilt but no one understands what i'm talking about so it's mostly referred to as blanket or rarely comforter :P ..

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

"I think it's a hoodless, zipperless, bottomless waterproof, windproof, baffled down sleeping bag that can also be used as a duvet"

Bob

:D

Have you ever tried to give medicine to a cat who isn't used to getting medicine? The recommended technique usually involves a "kitty burrito" (followed by bribery, usually) — and closely resembles the way a camper tightly wrapped up on a cold night, though the campers are usually a little less fuzzy than cats. Plus their claws aren't as sharp.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools