Topic

preventing bottle contamination

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique preventing bottle contamination

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dane Burke

@dane

Locale: Western Washington

Kind of a stupid question here, but I’m stumped.

I just bought a Platypus 2L+ to replace my 100oz Camelbak. Dropped about half a pound for $10…good deal.

Now the problem is, I dip the thing in a stream to fill it up with water, drop my aquamira mix in, but I still have potentially contaminated water on the rim of the platypus. How do you deal with this?

It wasn’t a problem on my camelbak because the mouthpeice never touched the water source.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

The standard proceedure is to add chemicals, tighten cap, agitate bottle thoroughly to evenly distribute Aqua Mira, hold bottle with cap at bottom, loosen cap slowly until a small amount of chemical laden water floods all the way around the thread area and flows over the cap’s lip. Tighten cap and wait for chemical to do it’s thing.

That’s the easy part. If you have a narrow neck bottle, filling it is the trick. I carry a thin plastic picnic type cup for that purpose on the rare occasions that I’m not using a wide mouth bladder.

Dane Burke

@dane

Locale: Western Washington

Perfect…thanks Al!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools