Topic

Cat Can Stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cat Can Stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

I thought I made a cat can stove but i some how managed to make it not work. I used a 3oz tin. Punched holes in the side just under the lip and also another row, offset to the top row.
    Maybe my fuel is no good? I'm just using methylated spirits from a petrol station. It says 95% ethanol minimum. on the front.
    It lights but the flame just burns very poorly when a pot is on top. I can see a slight blue flame but it does not come out of the side jets.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Did you prime the stove before putting the pot on? You have to let it burn for 20-30 seconds so that the fuel gets so hot that it's boiling. After it reaches this state, you can put a pot on it. If you put the pot on before priming is complete you get results like you described: weak flame, not shooting out of the holes, etc.

Good luck.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Once the alcohol in it "boils", then put the pot on. Takes longer when colder or just a few seconds at 70 F.

This site has thorough instructions.

Scott Lehr

@lehrscott4

Locale: Louisville - KY

If you punch the holes a little lower, they will allow the flames to keep the stove hotter and have a better boil time, and quicker start up. Just make sure they are high enough to hold enough fuel in the stove.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools