Topic

Silk coatings

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Silk coatings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There has been a lot of use of silicone-treated nylon.

Would silicone-treated silk make any sense?

I have some silk that is much thinner and lighter than nylon. I wonder what silicone treatment would do for it.

–B.G.–

Brett Rasmussen
    BPL Member

@ascientist

Locale: Grants Pass, Oregon

The last time I was painting 4:1 diluted silicone on some silnylon I was wearing a light silk shirt and got some on it in a spot. It soaked right in and looked like it could be waterproof. I think nylon and silk are not extremely different in terms of strength, so very thin silk that is much lighter than comparable ripstop may also be that much weaker so applications would have to chosen accordingly. The spot on my shirt made me think about waterproofing silk.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The diluted silicone will give fabric a slight clear or whitish finish. Suppose that I wanted to give it a slight color tinge. What sort of additive would work with the silicone? I'm thinking it would not be a vegetable dye, but I don't know. Maybe the ink out of a Magic Marker?

I have a bunch of white silk fabric left over from the last project, and it needs some color.

–B.G.–

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

90 years ago there were ultralight silk tents with no waterproofing. They apparently worked reasonably well when pitched tautly. Silk stretches, so you might have had to get up in the middle of a rain storm to tighten it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools