Topic

for those who have used CUBEN Fiber

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear for those who have used CUBEN Fiber

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris Krafcik

@whec716

I'm looking for some long term information on joining two pieces of cuben together.

what is your experience with:
    Stitching
    Tape
    glue – Hyosel vs Aqua seal (Which Aqua Seal?)

thanks

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

look at my information in the Wiki

Chris Krafcik

@whec716

I looked at your Wiki – which Aquaseal are you using?

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

On the tube it says McNett Aquasure urethane repair adhesive and sealant 250ml.
    I am afraid that seemed to be referred to interchangably with Aquaseal on different vendors websites

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

I made a tarp by stitching and then seam sealing and it seems to be holding up fine. I've used the 3M tape in 1/2 thickness trying to make a cuben pillow and the peel strength just is not anywhere near strong enough for that application (although I'm sure the 3M tape would be strong enough for a great deal of regular non peel applications). Steve Evans had a thread in this forum talking about his adventures with Hysol… I think is probably the most comprehensive testing done to date:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=20093&startat=40

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

1) Stitching works, but stress on seam will open stretch holes at each stitch. Sewing is easy.
    2) Bonding works well for seams in shear (IOW, a flat seam); less well for seams that are configured to peel. Glueing is tricky, often messy, and sometimes disasterous.
    3) Tape works less well than bonding; it has the same limitations, but additionally will creap when heated under stress.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

The stitches on my MYOG quilt have been holding up great for the last 10 days of use on my thru hike. I should have more information as time goes on…
    Evan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools