Topic

Busting the Crust.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Busting the Crust.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Hiking in the desert, I often find myself cross country, walking across cryptobiotic soil. It creates serious impact, my footprints may last for decades. I try to rock hop, I try to trail walk, I do my best. But if I'm going somewhere off trail (be it because I've got an objective or because I'm lost) I might be walking on crypto.

Any other LNT-fanatics that find themselves breaking the rules?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Whatever you do out there, Jack, just don't poke the cholla.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

You could try stilts…

My utterly useless 2 yen's worth.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Jack,

It is a problem when we do this, and sometimes unavoidable. I thought I remember reading that you lived in Utah, and there is a lot of this kind of soil there.

I usually try to stick to washes and similar areas. If ridges are available, I move up on them where there are more game trails, and especially look for sheep trails (sometimes the sheep go places we cannot).

Fortunately most deserts have plenty of washes, and are documented on topo maps to help plan trips.

I think the most important thing is awareness on the part of hikers as to; what it is, and what consequences our impact can have. Unfortunately for uniformed hikers, the crypto looks like an attractive soil to hike on, as the crust can be easier walking than sandy surfaces found in washes.

Glad you brought up the topic.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Washes, slickrock, and rock-to-rock hopping, in that order.

Sometimes I backtrack and try another route.

If I can, I brush my tracks where they leave a route, just to keep others from getting misled.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"If I can, I brush my tracks where they leave a route, just to keep others from getting misled."

And don't forget to knock down ducks :)

If one looks fresh, I do leave it alone.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools