Topic

Modifying a MSR SuperFly

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Modifying a MSR SuperFly

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

I noticed the MSR Superfly, which has a “latch on connector”, instead of a screw on, fits standard screw on cartridges without having to screw them on. It almost fits a Powermax cartridge, except the inside receiver would need to be very slightly drilled out to accept the hex shaped Powermax connector.

Does anyone see any reason why you couldn’t use a Powermax cartridge with the MSR SuperFly if you very slightly drilled out the receiver?
    (We’re going to Philmont, and they sell Powermax cartridges, but not screw on isopropane cartridges).
    Thanks,
    Mike B

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Mike-

That’s a very clever idea, but a very dangerous proposition. Don’t do it!

The Superfly lacks a pre-heat tube to vaporize the liquid fuel put out by the Powermax cartridge. It’s a recipe for a flame-thrower.

Cheers,

-Mike

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Whosh Whosh, great point! (Although I love light shows ;)

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get Isopropane out of a Powermax canister and into a regular isopropane canister as a backup.

Any ideas on a lightweight straw or other mechanism?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools