Topic

Updated Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Updated Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

Hi again :)
    I've spent the last few days going over my gear list. As some of you know, some gear I have, some gear I'm getting ready to purchase. The items I already have are in italics.
    Feel free to download the pdf from my profile and give some feedback :)

Thanks

Benen

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

Ben,

I still believe that the Aether 60 is going to be too much pack for what you need. If you just want to stick with "mainstream" brands that take a look at Gregory's Z55/65 and even Granite Gear's Vapor Trail, Nimbus and Vapor– all will save you close to a full pound for about the same capacity.

MSR Hyperflow– since you are purchasing two 3L Platypus bottles, take a look at the Aquamira Froniter Pro water filter– it weighs in at 2oz and costs around $20USD. Seach some of Jason Klass' youtube videos for more info on the set-up. Save 5oz and $80– you could even pick up an extra Platypus and still save!

– Nix the Flex 3 and pick up a pot and two mugs like you already noted. AGG have some low cost options.

FWIW my wife and I started with two SP 700 pots and two MSR Titan mugs. We have since dropped one 700 pot and we could easily ditch one mug, but prefer the luxury of two. Set up (one pot + 2 mugs) weighs a little over 8oz. Throw in a cat can stove, two utensils, windscreen and a mini bic and we're at around 10oz. We also have a bigger pot that we could swap the 700 for and it would still weigh less than 1Lb.

– Only you know about your comfort level regarding the NeoAir. I have both a Therm-a-rest Deluxe (Regular) and a Z-lite (short). My wife however likes her BA Insulated. Some people, like my wife, hate torso and CCF pads, I sleep fine on them. It is personal preference.

– Nix the stove and go with an alcohol stove like already noted.

– Nix either two forks or two spoons– there is no need for two forks and two spoons for two people!

– Kershaw Leek at 3oz is a whole lot of knife. Not sure what you plan to use it for, but I haven't used mine for anything more than cutting paracord, salami and cleaning fish. FWIW I use a Gerber Evo JNR (1.8oz) and that is considered heavy– but cost around $15USD.

Tents have been mentioned before– my wife and I use a Rainshadow 2, we need the extra space because of our dog, but just the two of us could easily get by in a Squall 2. Anyway, the shelter setup weighs around 2.5LBS and costs about $300– which is around half the price of the Hubba HP and weighs more than a one pound less.

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

How about the Kershaw chive at 1.9oz? Im just picking from what moosejaw offer.
    I have an old Roman brand self inflating mattress that isn't too bad to sleep on but weighs 1kg. I've tried a generic blue foam mattress and had an awful nights sleep. My wife and I swapped the second night and she slept ok and I slept crap so foam is definitely out! I chose the neo air's because they are lighter than the prolite plus and comfier than the prolite.
    I'm still not sure about packs. The gregories dont seem to weigh much less at all.

Benen

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Ben,

I am not a knife expert. All I know is that there are lighter knifes out there that can get the same job done. Some people just use razor blades. Myself, I am a fly-fisherman and need something a little more durable for cleaning fish. I guess the moral is to pick the right tool for the job. What do you plan on using the knife for?

Pads– sleep on whatever makes you comfortable. My wife likes her inflatable– I like my Z-lite. It is no biggie.

A Gregory Z-65 weighs 12 ounces less that the Aether 60 and provides you with more than 5 liters of extra space! The Vapor Trail will save you 42oz of weigh for the same 60 litre capacity– both of those savings are huge! I know that I would rather be carrying less than 3lbs of pack than 5lbs

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

The knife has to be useful for cutting up vegetables etc. because it would be taken car camping too if that helps your recommendations?
    How about the Kestrel 58? They are the same weight as the Gregories. I have no idea why im so set on an Osprey.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Ben,

Go try the packs on. If you like the way Osprey fit you, then buy it.

I personally use Gossamer Gear's G4– it weighs around 1Lb and has a 66 liter capacity. My wife likes her 3lb 8oz Meridan Ki– it doesn't mean that you and your wife will like the same packs as each other, let alone the same ones that my wife and I like.

Buy the pack that fits you and your gear!

As for knifes– like I said, I fly-fish and to tell you the truth Ben, up until the last maybe seven years I used nothing more than a cheap $3 pen-knife to clean my fish and use as a camp knife. Now I could go out tomorrow and spend $2,000 on the best knife available– but the problem is I don't need the best, I just need something that will work. What will work for you?

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

Thanks mate.
    I think the thing that draws us most to the osprey packs is the curved frame to keep the pack off of your back. As we said before it can get very hot here and after doing some day trips that end in massively sweaty backs that feature really appealed to us. But like you said. We will head into a local store and hopefully try on the packs we're looking into.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

For reference, I live in a desert and it is not unusual for us to see temperatures over 120F in the summer (although we are not backpacking when it is that hot).

The suspended mesh panel packs are nice in theory, IMO. I have a Deuter and a REI. Both fit and carry well. But… they are not UL packs, nor are the Ospry packs. Also, packing the pack is not optimal, as the curved frame and mesh panel restrict how you can stuff things in them. My main packs are now a Gossamer Gear Murmur and Mariposa Plus. You get used to sweating, and after a while don't even think about it.

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

thanks Nick,
    It has to be something from moosejaw because postage from the US is too much to buy from seperate sellers. They do sell golite packs but not sure if there are any other options there.

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Ben,

If there is something you want from a US seller, then I would be happy to purchase it for you and then ship it to you for the actual cost + shipping. I am not sure how much it would save you, but let me know.

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

Thanks for that Chris. That's very kind of you!

Any other comments on the Osprey Kestrel range vs the Gregory Z range?

Another note. Since we're going to be purchasing the Neo-Air sleeping pads, they will go inside the pack and we will hopefully be using the exterior pad straps on the packs to carry the tent which will leave us even more space inside.

Im less worried about pack range than I am capacity.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools