Topic

MYOG Cuben/Momentum Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Cuben/Momentum Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

src="/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1269330591_23002.jpg" width="550" />In the livingroomAll right guys, finished the quilt! Thanks to Tim and everyone else that helped me out with the design and logistics. Final specs: 78" length by 49" head straight taper to 37" foot. 2.5" loft with 5.5" baffles. Weighs 16.2oz. Made with cuben fiber .51/.6oz (depending on who you ask) weight shell and baffles CT1K.08, with a 8in strip of momentum.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

It looks great. Awesome work!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Evan, very nice work.

A few details: How much down did you end up using and at what height is the baffle material (not the loft, but the actual baffle)?

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Thanks guys! I used 12 ounces of down, possibly 12.1 ounces. I made the baffles 3.5 inches tall before the seams, finished height was about 2.5 inches. I didnt know how big to make them, but I was aiming for 2.5 inches of loft, so I made 2.5 inch baffles.
    Loving this!
    San Diego tomorrow, PCT here I come!
    Evan

Nicholas Miller
    BPL Member

@nmiller08

Locale: Montana

awesome job Evan, you really cranked that out! Looking forward to a PCT Trip Report with plenty of pictures!

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Evan,

Very professional looking MYOG quilt!

Beautiful job!

Party On ! 2010

Newton

John Brochu

@johnnybgood4

Locale: New Hampshire

That thing is going to be waaaarm!

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Wow, thanks guys. I cant wait to spend many nights under this thing! I will try to post as I can from the trail, and of course once I get back.
    Oo Rah 2010
    Evan

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

Great job! How much did materials end up costing you? Is it down? I may have a new project on my hands….

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

John,
    Yes it is down. The materials cost (by unit) 20.25 per meter of cuben, 5 dollars thread, 5 dollars needles, and 150 USD thru-hiker quilt kit (5 yds momentum, 2 mesh, 12 down). Total cost: Approx. 261.25 USD however this is with tons of momentum, mesh, and some cuben left over. Also, this is the price of CT1K.08 weight cuben from Cubic Tech and does not include shipping and handling for any materials, but the lighter weight .33oz would be cheaper. Buying cuben from quest or zpacks will cost more, so I would suggest trying to find someone to split the minimum order of 9yds with you from cubic tech like I did. If I didnt get the cubic tech order, I would probably have gone with the zpacks CT1K.08, their price is very good and Joe is great. But going with cubic tech will bring the cost down considerably.
    Its pretty economical. I was able to get the quilt and vest materials for 260 USD, and I still have approx. 30-40 dollars worth of materials I could sell back. I was planning on spending much more for a sleeping bag, and am already on a super tight budget, so it worked out well.
    If you do end up making one feel free to shoot any questions my way and I will try to help, assuming I am on the computer (probably not the next few months!) Tim and everyone on the site were really great in helping me out with making it as well.
    Take Care!
    Evan

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

for your detailed reply. Thinking about a new quilt for a possible CT hike. I'll get my current projects taken care of, then see where I'm at. This looks doable, and I could use the leftovers for a momentum/sil/mesh summer bivy.

Have a great time!

Lau Chi Man Vincent
    Spectator

@bbyellow

Locale: Hong Kong

Evan,

Great job!
    Hope u enjoy your PCT.

Vincent

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

Evan,

That looks very nice. I think that is my next MYOG project. Just out of curiousity why did you buy the thruhiker quilt kit insted of the supplies seperately after you had the Cuben?
    Greg

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Greg,
    I didnt really know what I was going to make the quilt out of until I got the cuben in the mail. When I did the math I found that it was almost the same price to get the cuben and thru hiker kit then to get the materials seperately. I would need an unbroken piece of momentum 90 of 2.5 yards and thought it would be cheaper this way (unless I wanted to seam in the middle). But I think it worked out well. How much do you think it would be to get the stuff seperately? I dont think I did a good job of pricing that out properly…
    From Scout and Frodo's awesome house in San Diego
    Evan

Greg Lewis
    BPL Member

@gpl916

Locale: PNW

Evan,

I don't remember exact prices but I think I paid about $8/oz through a local company for 850 down and $13/yd for the momentum at thruhiker. The other materials would be the same.

I guess I would have just seemed it in the middle since you already have seam lines for the baffles. This way you would need less than 2 lineal feet of momentum.

So looking at it from the perspective of no seam, and all the extra material you now have for other projects, it was probably a good way to go!

It looks like a very nice quilt.

Greg

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

If I do this too, I may also order the t-h kit, just to have the instructions, patterns, etc. because I know I can use the extra fabric.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the vapor barrier effect in higher temperatures. It seems that might make a cuben quilt less versatile. Maybe another strip of momentum on the underside for a warmer-weather bag? Evan's should go down to 0 based on the loft alone*, forget the VB, and I'm not sure if I need to make something that warm. Can anyone who has a warmer-weather enLightened bag say how they feel about the VB?

*Ray Jardine's rough Temp=100-(40xLoft) formula

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Greg,
    Yeah it would be a little cheaper to order less and use the seam. Going the other way though (no seam and extra fabric) the kit is the way to go. 8/oz is the same as thru-hiker I believe, but with the kit its all a bit cheaper I think. Really great!
    John,
    Not sure if this touches on what you were talking about, but the thru-hiker "quilt instructions" are posted online and not very extensive, meaning there is no real pattern. Ordering the kit only gets you some of the materials.
    So far I have had no problems whatso ever with the quilt in higher temperatures, meaning in my house and in San Diego. Its been great! Never been more than comfortably warm even.
    If its really warm/hot (more than 65 deg) I would probabaly just go without the quilt.
    Momentum strip on the inside=vapor entering the down (theoretically). Probably not the best idea, but it could work for you.
    Try sleeping in a trash bag or under a waterproof tarp (rolled around you like a boritto) in the house to see the warm weather VB effects. Worked for me, I thought it was great.
    Good luck! Headed out to the border in an hour…
    Evan

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools