Topic

TT Rainbow Modification

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TT Rainbow Modification

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

I have been thinking about adding a layer of 1.1 oz DWR ripstop nylon to my TT Rainbow. The fabric would have about the same area as the floor and weigh ~ 3.7 oz. It would be secured in some manner (sewing, velcro, etc.) to the floor to make a sort of cover for me, my wife, and our gear. I am assuming that this will protect us from condensation and more importantly keep out drafts. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Unless it’s really cold, I think covering yourself with a big piece of non-breathable nylon can be uncomfortable, and can actually trap your body perspiration as well.

More often than not, my Rainbow’s ceiling/wall is wet with condensation in the mornings; however, I haven’t had any problems with water dripping down on me or my bag at all. The tent is just about the most spacious solo tent in the world, so I don’t make contact with moisture when sitting up or changing. It’s also an easy thing to wipe down the moisture.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Casey, since you mention that you want to use it with your wife, I would suggest that for the moment you take Ben’s advice ( I have come to the same conclusion) and have a good look at the Double Rainbow when the final version appears.
    Franco

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Ben and Franco,

Thanks for you input. My original thread was not very clear, but I assumed that the ripstop nylon would be breathable with a DWR finish. I believe that this fabric is used on the top of Ti Goat and Equinox bivies and available at OWF for around $5 per yard. I agree that a non-breathable cover would be a bad idea.

For many years my wife and I have used quilts in a tiny 3.5 pound Coleman Peak 1 double walled tent. With this setup we never worried about condensation on the fly (the tent would protect us) or breezes (the fly pitches all the way to the ground).

With the gap between the TT fly and the ground I am worried that, as quilt users, light winds might affect us. I am less worried about condensation but with two people it will be hard to avoid the walls.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Casey, have you found the Rainbow too drafty in practice? Not sure if you’re staking or using trekking poles but staking it will drop the canopy an inch and together with a site with natural windblocks you really shouldn’t have too much trouble with draft. All that said, what you propose–a sort of full-size bivy sack–is an interesting solution to extend the usability for two people. I think you could just use the existing floor loops and clips and make yourself a very workable oversheet.

-H

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Henry,

I have only found the Rainbow drafty relative to my previous tent and under deliberatley poor conditions. Specifically, I stealth camped on the top of a ridge in the Berkeley Hills (with views of San Francisco, the Golden Gate Bridge, etc.) knowing that I would be exposed to a constant breeze laden with moisture. I would not select similar sites during ‘real’ backpacking trips.

I like your idea of securing the ‘oversheet’ to the existing clips. If the oversheet is an upside down bathtub I think it will keep breezes and condensation at bay. It certainly seems better than my initial idea of sewing the oversheet along the perimeter of the ground sheet and providing two torso sized openings that could be cinched around our necks with drawstrings.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

The clips and loops should work well because you can clip/unclip that way to get in and out and/or leave the oversheet home if conditions don’t warrant using it. We’ll be making more use of clip systems in an upcoming shelter – (an official hint for all you rumor mongers).

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

nm

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Now we are the rumour mongers ?
    Every other comment that Ben and I make is highly researched and factual.
    What about the one you started about a product called Double Rainbow?

Franco

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Ok, Franco, you called my bluff. I confess, there’s no Double Rainbow (except the one YOU rumor mongered). Anyway, I’ve moved well beyond the Double Rainbow now. The new product will be called the Rainbow Squared – an exponentially better product than your Double Rainbow.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Aye, Franco — every other inch a gentleman!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Henry, just wanted to see if you were hard at work or had time to read my crapola.
    I find it a bit disappointing that you have mentioned the Rainbow Squared before it’s even in the final design stage, so don’t blame me if the guys will start to ask details about it.
    Here is a hint :Square , how many corners ?
    Hi Ben, I am a gentleman every day between 9 AM and 9:03AM, you just got me at the wrong time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools