Topic

BPL in France

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jon Sabo
    Spectator

@smallworld

Hey everyone,

So I'll be spending my Fall semester in Bordeaux, allegedly with a lot of long weekends to travel and hopefully to backpack around. Probably not enough free time for week long trips though. I haven't been to Europe at all since childhood, and most of my hiking has been around the Indiana/Kentucky area. Does anyone have any resources on backpacking around that area, or in France in general? It seems like 90% of the results on google are just about being a tourist in France. I should be able to catch a train to different parts of the country pretty easily, so I'm not necessarily looking for anything Bordeaux specific.

If anyone has personal experience doing this in France I'd be very interested too if you want to post about it or PM me. A lot of my friends and family have been, but they mostly have info on stuff to see in the cities, not so much when it comes to backcountry.

As far gear goes, I had planned on just bringing my backpack and picking up most things I need once I get there. Really the only thing I would carry with me that I otherwise wouldn't is just more clothes than usual (since I'll be there for a semester) and a laptop. Wikipedia says the historical highs/lows are a lot more moderate than Louisville's so that should help lighten up some. Hopefully the flat has a place to hang my hammock from as well.

Thanks guys
    Jon

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Hei Jon,

the French equivalent to BPL.com is Randonner Leger where they will help you out will all your questions, given that you speak French – which I guess you do ;) They got a very informative Forum and surely will help you find interesting trips in Bordeaux or the rest of France.

Arklight Design is a French UL cottage/ online shop, and would be my first destination if I'd like to pick up UL gear in France.

Little tip: Bring as much gear as possible from the US with you, as you're going light it should be hopefully possible. It is far cheaper than buying it here, the Euro is strong in comparison to the Dollar and you'd buy cheaper at home than here.

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

+1 for arklight design- they ship to me in Barcelona, no problems.

Haute Pyrenees Route, and the GR 10 and GR11 are all great walks you can do from Bordeaux.

If you are into surfing, the beaches on the coast south of Bordeaux are some of the best for it in Europe.

have a great summer, and I'll maybe see you in the mountains!!

cheers,
    fred

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools