Topic

Summer insulating layer for the mountains

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Summer insulating layer for the mountains

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Hey all,
    I'm looking for an insulating layer to be worn around camp while in Glacier NP this summer. Temps could get down to the 30's at night.

I've got a Marmot Zeus jacket, but at 15 ounces, it might be overkill–plus I don't want the weight or bulk if I can help it.

So what would be a good, ultralight insulating layer that I could wear under my Marmot Essence (for wind and draft protection).

Right now, Montbell has the U.L.Down Inner Half Sleeve Jacket on sale for $87, and the Vest for $62. How do these compare to the Western Mountaineering Flash Vest? Will these be warm enough, or will I need more insulation?

I'm really interested in that Montbell Half Sleeve, but am a little skeptical of its practicality. Other suggestions?

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

Glacier can get cold and wet even in the summer. If you can get your hands on a BPL Cocoon UL60 Pullover you would have a good package and wouldn't have to deal with the possibility wet down. BPL no longer carries these but I love mine. Before I got the Cocoon I had a Montbell U.L. Thermawrap which was a good jacket that served me well, but the Cocoon is a little warmer.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

How much does the BPL UL60 weigh?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Travis:

We probably all have our biases… In my mind, the temperature "window" where it is so cold you want to put on your insulation layer — but then not really cold enough to need insulation sleeves — is relatively narrow. When it gets cold sitting around the camp at night, for me, I want a jacket (mine is the MB UL down inner) — and sometimes my hooded shell jacket as well. When the entire jacket barely weighs more than a tee — the weight savings of leaving out two sleeves or one half of each sleeve is more psychic than practical in my view. YMMV.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Ben,
    At what temps do you find yourself wanting to put on your MB jacket while sitting around camp?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Generally, I think:

50F – shell layer
    45F – insulation layer
    40F – both layers (mostly for the hood)
    35F – nighty night everyone and crawl into my beloved MB bag.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

For the price, I may just pull the trigger on the MB vest. I'll at least find out how I like vests, and can learn more about my layering system options.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Pull the trigger? Of course!

Ben.
    The Gear Enabler.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

"Pull the trigger? Of course!

Ben.
    The Gear Enabler."

Wow. That was a surprise. :)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Anyone else? Thoughts?

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Travis I just about always carry at least a down sweater with me in the mountains. It makes a great pillow if nothing else…

I often need it though as it can get cold in a hurry in any month. I especially like wearing it in the morning as I break down. I take it off to shove in the pack right as we hit the trail.

It even gets cold in the desert like this shot in Death Valley (Sept 04) attests. Now I take a MontBell TEK jacket most times.DV packing up

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

I've got two.
    Patagonia Micro Puff sweater & a Hagloffs LIM Primaloft sweater. One of these comes with me every hike.
    Vests seem pointless to me, for a few extra grams you get more warmth with a full sweater. YMMV.
    cheers,
    fred

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks guys. The more I think about it, a full jacket would just be more practical, for an extra ounce or two.

Now I've got to decide if spending the $100 bucks on a Montbell jacket is worth the 7 ounce savings over my Marmot.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Vests seem pointless to me."

+1

I don't know of anyone who owns just a vest and not a jacket of some kind. But then, if you own a jacket — just how often is it when the weather is so cold you need to put on an insulation layer — but then just too darn hot to include the sleeves??

I would sell the heavier jacket and replace it with a nice MB down (or similar) jacket and keep things simple.

[EDIT] Oops, just noticed that Travis has already decided against the vest. +1 on Travis.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

I usually bring a R1hoody, R2vest, windshirt and warm puffy. I have a BMW Pro Parka that well I dont use but is perfect for the mountains, what I like about the Parka is the waterproof shell which allows me to just pull it on overtop my shell in bad conditions, that and I can still layer it under the Gore.
    That said I recently moved back to the east and could be convinced to sell my parka.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Would the New Balance Fugu be way too much? I'll be south of Glacier in late June. I'm not going to buy another jacket so my only other option is adding Cap 3 and Cap 4 pullovers over my base layer and using Dri Ducks as a shell if needed.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

For temps down to about 30F or high 20F I bring my MB XUL jacket and a shell.

Like Ben, when it gets close to 30F, I get in my sleeping bag.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I suggest you buy my Montbell Thermawrap jacket for $80. Size medium.

That's the best suggestion I can come up with at the moment….. ;-)

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I roam in the northern Canadian Rockies with just a long sleeve wool, wind shirt and shell with a BPL 90 quilt, and a Torsolite. I recently bought a UL parka for the hood, but it might end up being a pillow for $220. I ordered from Montbell.com and I paid $30 for shipping and $50 for duties..DONT do it if you live in Canada. Order from campsaver.com or Backcountry.com

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>I suggest you buy my Montbell Thermawrap jacket for $80. Size medium.

Thanks for the offer! After some thought, I've decided to focus my finances toward a better 3-season sleeping bag.

I've gotta reign in the spending for a bit (hmmm, that sounds like a Republican sound bite).

However, I appreciate all the discussion, and will be keeping this all in mind when I'm ready for a new insulating layer. So, keep on discussin'!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools