Topic

MYOG G4 and Pad Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG G4 and Pad Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tristan Sprenkle

@tristan570

Hello everyone, long time browser but first post.

I'm planning on making a G4 pretty soon but had a question about using the pad as a frame. Does a ridge rest fit back there or would I have to modify it in some way to make it fit? I also thought about cutting the bottom off of the ridge rest to use as the frame and then use that as a sit pad during the day and put it under my feet at night and strapping the rest of the rolled pad to the back (possibly with the y closure?)

Right now I'm using a blue pad from wal mart but I really want to upgrade this to something a little wider for my hammock, any other suggestions that aren't inflatable? I thought about the z-lite but I'm a cold sleeper, how much of a difference does the .2 r-value make?

Edit to add one more question: Oxford vs 330d Cordura, they both seem to be 4 oz/yd, I don't really know anything about fabrics, which would be a better choice?

JM Addleman
    Spectator

@jaddleman

Locale: Eastern Sierra

You can fold the whole ridgerest into the back of the pack, but it will probably fit better if you cut some off (the foot section of the pad is not really necessary).

The z-lite would be fine too, and I don't think the r-value will be noticeable, especially with the air trapped by the convoluted foam adding a little heat and much more comfort. You could also consider the Gossamer Gear Night Light pads (my personal preference).

The Cordura might be a little tougher, but in all likelihood, you're paying for the brand name.

My question for anyone who's made one:
    How easy would it be to scale the pattern down and make a ~2500cuin pack? I've never made a pack, so I don't know if it's the simple matter of making the sides a little smaller in each direction, or if there's more to it than that.

Tristan Sprenkle

@tristan570

Thanks for the reply, that really helps out. I checked out the Nightlight pads and I'm going to try one of those out when they come back in stock, until then I'll make my current pad work.

If you head over to the MYOG G4 group and join it I'm pretty sure I've seen a few discussions on there about people scaling the pack down.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/g4-pack/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools