Topic

help on bag-> quilt modification?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear help on bag-> quilt modification?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Locale: West

I have my old PCT bag that never zipped up and wanted to try making a quilt out of it. It is a Mountain Hardware phantom 32. Before I just start ripping out the zipper and getting down everywhere I wanted to check for some hints. Couldn't find any recent threads…

I plan to shake all the down into the center, sow it shut a couple inches in from the zipper, make the foot box a lil shorter, Then rip off the zipper. I don't really know what to do with the hood too. I could stuff that down into the other baffles. It would be in the way in quilt mode, it often was.

Any recommended articles, posts? Seems like a fairly common sorta thing…

Hypothetical question: what would the 800 fill down in a phantom 0 be worth to anyone here? Thinking of selling, cannibalizing… etc. I never use it. Might consider making a quilt if the 32 works out.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_mummy_to_arc_conversion.html

sew inside the area to be removed. This will trap the down in the bag. Cut out the junk and hem it up! It is easy, just take your time and pin a lot on the hem to help it look neat.

-Tim

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I don't really know what to do with the hood too.

KEEP IT!
    Your head still needs warmth in the night. Your body hasn't changed. I sleep under a quilt – I stick my head under the hood. Works very nicely.

Cheers

Thomas Trebisky
    Spectator

@trebisky

Locale: Southern Arizona

This thread is just the thing to get my mind cranking. Some time ago I bought a heavily discounted Mountain Hardware "down upgrade" bag. The thing about it though is that it has two sets of big heavy duty zippers that seem to almost account for half of its weight. I had pondered the idea of replacing these zippers with a single lighter one. But now you have me thinking of doing what you are doing and just getting rid of them altogether. Thanks for letting me know this is not a crazy line of thought.

Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Locale: West

Well… how did I miss that? Hah!

Just about what I planned to do. Alright, my weekend is booked! Thanks!

Howbout turning the hood into a separate bomber hat sorta thing? heh

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools