Topic

Clothing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Clothing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

I am leaving to hike the Appalachian Trail Apr1st

Currently debating two Questions:

Should I add T-shirt? (Merino or Synthetic)

Should I add a pair of light weight shorts?

Current Clothing

Top:
    BPL Beartooth Merino Hoody
    BPL Thorofare
    Dri Ducks Micropor
    Montbell Alpinelight Down Jacket

Bottom:
    REI Sahara Convertible
    Icebreaker Boxers
    Smartwool Microlight tights

(Also have Hat, Gloves/Shell and socks)

Thanks

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

I know clothing is talked about at length in Articles and Forums. It has lead me to this current setup

I had that setup out last saturday for a day hike up to the top of Bear Mt. NY. I never put on the Down Jacket. I was only slightly cool. (40* snow/slush on the ground and raining)

Did not wear my hat or bring gloves. Also I wore Vibram Five fingers (Testing my limit with them in bad weather) So that was removing quite a bit of warmth.

Between work, weather and traveling on weekends I have not gotten to test this setup as much as I would have liked before my departure. Just Seeing what other peoples experince is with similar setups (Smokies in Aprl), and if I should bring another layer, top and bottom.

Thanks!

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

I think you will be fine from a warmth perspective while hiking. If it were me I might add a t-shirt or thinner long sleeve zip tee but I don't think I would add an additional pair of shorts.

What is your sleep set up? It can still get quite cold and snowy in the Smokies through April and into May at the higher elevations and you might need additional leg insulation if you have a 30 or 40 degree bag. Just a thought. Good luck on your hike! I'm sure it will be great.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Trevor, thanks for the response.

Sleep Set up – Layers mentioned above+

Bag: Montbell ULSuperStretch #2 (25*)
    Matress: Neo Air Short
    Pad: GG 1/8th thinlight
    Pad(legs): GG Nightlight Torso Pad (Also doubles as sit pad, pack pad, and torso backup should neo fail)

Fleece Baclava
    MH Perigon Dome Hat
    Possum Down Gloves
    Smartwool Midweight Socks

Could put my legs into my pack in side my sleeping bag (MLD Prophet) should I need to.

What do ya think?

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

I think that should be a comfortable sleep set up for the Smokies during that time of year. You should have adequate ground insulation for the expected temps during that time of year too. If a serious cold front moves in you could just make sure not to sleep at the highest elevations and you should be fine.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Trevor

Thanks for the review and the tip.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools