Topic

Any experience with OR Nighthaven?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any experience with OR Nighthaven?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tariqa Mead
    BPL Member

@fenester

Does anyone have first-hand or second-hand experiences to share regarding the Outdoor Research Nighthaven?
    There’s a spotlite article on this website from 2005 but no reviews and I haven’t found any elsewhere.
    Thanks for your help!

-T.

Tariqa Mead
    BPL Member

@fenester

*bump*

Dan Montgomery

@delmonte

Sorry I can’t help, Tariqa, ’cause I’ve been wondering the same thing. It sure looks like it’s got decent size and low weight (a pound less than my MSR Missing Link, which is no slouch in this department) for a good price. I’m very curious.

Tom Mansel

@tommym-p

Hi Tariqua, like yourself & Dan I’m curious to see if this is a good tent – I seem to be wavering between that and the Golite Hex 3. Both seem to be very spacious and light, but to my mind the venting options on the Nighthaven seem to be superior…

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

The Nighthaven has a built-in partial floor which would probably limit the ventilation, but might do a good job keeping bugs out.

Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I recently hiked the Wonderland trail and spent all 4 nights in a Nighthaven.

It was easy to pitch, quick, had a nice partial floor that stopped mosquitos, seemed to vent well and had lots of room for 2 adults.

Overall I really liked everything except the weight. It seems heavier than it needs to be at 1.7 lbs (my hex isnt’ far off that and holds alot more). But overall it was a great tarp/tent if you don’t care about being the absolute lightest.

Al Clemens

@al

Wade,

Am I correct in assuming that you can close the front for storm protection, but that there isn’t a second screen door behind that, just a small top screen vent and the side wall vents. In nice weather it’d be nice to keep the front flaps open with screen closed to keep bugs out but still have good ventilation. How does it do in terms of condensation?

Tom Mansel

@tommym-p

Thanks for your reply Wade!Since you’ve had experience of both the Golite Hex and the NightHaven, which would you personally recommend?

Tom

David Ure

@familyguy

NM

Mark W Heninger

@heninger

I like the hex more. It can fit 3 or 4 in a pinch. Its not as bug-proof as the nighhaven due to the faux-floor.

I’m considering sewing in a bug net liner about 4 inches around the bottom of my hex.

The nighthaven is great, just not as great as the hex.

Mark W Heninger

@heninger

hmm. I can’t remember honestly if it had a mesh screen or just the sil nylon on that front door. I think the latter.

We slept one night in a lower-elevation camp spot on the wonderland and it was very humid – and we had no condensation the next morning. It seemed to handle condesnation quite well. I was suprised given how battened down it is with that faux-floor.

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

It is a great lightweight shelter. In fact I have one, and am selling it… so if anyone is interested, let me know. I am looking to get around $120 for it and the footprint. I have some pressing bills to pay, and don’t use this as much as I thought I would.

Tom Mansel

@tommym-p

Hey Matt, if it’s in good condition I’ll buy it off you in a heartbeat! Send me an email to: [email protected] and we can get it sorted out.
    Regards
    Tom

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools