Topic

Little big mods

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Little big mods

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees

Sometimes, little modifications to our gear make big differences in the backcountry. What follows are two examples of this:

Bottle cap retainer

A small piece of fishing line, a plastic retainer, and a drop of glue and you’ll convert two pieces of gear into one. No more time wasted trying to remember where you left the cap… or see it falling hundreds of feet downhill because your clumsy mitts.

Bottle cap retainers

Tent stuff sack

Based on an idea by Roger Caffin, simply replace the typical tiny opening for a big one and stuffing your tent becomes incredible easier. I use something similar to a shoelace closure, because it provides a (slightly) better closure and doubles up as a guyline or accessory cord.

Tent stuff sack

Here’s my two cents. What are your little big mods?

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I couldn't think of one the first time I read the thread but I just remembered one.

The rear pockets on my hiking pants are nice and deep and used to have velcro closures. This presented a problem since its no secret that velcro and wool don't get along too well. I removed the velcro and the usability of the pockets increased significantly. Now I can easily stash a map, my wool beanie, liner gloves, or any other item I might want easy access to in them. I'm much happier with the pants now, it just took me a few years to figure out how to make them just right.

I've been considering changing my Conduit from a roll-top closure to a simple drawstring. I'm not a big fan of the roll-top and the conversion would be another trivial thing that would likely increase my satisfaction quite a bit. One of these days I'll get on a sewing kick and knock it out but for now it will remain stock.

Adam

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools