Topic

Golite Ion Mods or Deionizing the Ion yet again

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Golite Ion Mods or Deionizing the Ion yet again

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

I recently picked up a Golite Ion in hopes to play around with it and add a few mods here and there (thanks to Jared Cook's Ion mods!). So I started with this, which is your standard Golite Ion weighing in at 9.3oz (264 grams) …

…and turned it into this:

After adding the 3 pockets, lacing system, extension collar and strap that goes over the new collar the Ion now weighs in at 9.5oz or 269 grams.

What I took off:
    – Zippered top
    – trimmed hibelt and shoulder strap nylon

It should be finished, but I am having a small issue with the 3/4" grosgrain strap and 3/4" buckle that I added to it. For some reason the strap that is attached to the male end keeps slipping through the buckle and is constantly loosening. Any suggestions?

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Looks pretty good. Always nice to make something that feels right.

Did the strap and buckle come from another finished product where they functioned together? Did you purchase them new and matched? You have 2 options: 1) switch one or both; 2) stitch another layer of ribbon onto the first. Someone here should have a link to a recent discussion of option 2.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Thanks Jeremy. The buckles I am using are a matched pair, but I have a few of them so I could try another one first. As for the doubling up on the grosgrain, that sounds like an easy fix and I will look for the link.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Is the grosgrain slick? Sometimes there isn't enough bite for the buckle to stay put. Could be too thin grosgrain, and this sometimes happens.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Donna – it might be the case that the strap is too thin or slick. I am going to play around with it when I get home and see what I can do. I really, really do not want to remove the strap, because I already bartacked it in place!

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

I know. I hesitated with the suggestion, but….
    Sewing is like that, ya know? : )

Take some of your strap and see if another buckle on another pack that you have will hold, just for kicks. It could be the buckle, too. Trot on down to the sewing store or your outdoor place, if there's one nearby and do the same. Even different grosgrain.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Maybe this thread will help some…

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

Looks great! I'm glad my post was able to help you. You'll love it if you like frameless packs, mine has been my go to pack for everything from an overnight trip to week long trips.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Donna – thanks for the tips. i am going to play around with it this weekend and see if I can get it right.

Ben – thanks for the link. I remember seeing it not too long ago, but missed it in the search.

Jared – Thanks. I do like framed more, but I wanted something for summer overnights and extended daytrips. I have a second unmodded Ion that I am still trying to figure out what I want to do with it.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

I just received my Ion pack yesterday. I am so excited to use it and maybe will de-ionize it sometime in the future. Thanks to both of you for your posts.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

what size is it? if you can't think of anything to do with it, and don't want it let me know. I have to find another pack so that I can modify one for my girlfriend. :)

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Jared-
    I will keep you in mind, but I do have plans for it's use. It is a size small, green. I did find one at this website but I had problems with the site itself. You may have better luck.

http://www.finishadventure.com/go-lite-unisex-ion-backpack.php

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools