Topic

Forum Newbie Hiking Trails Advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Forum Newbie Hiking Trails Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Harris

@iamnaeth

Hi all, this is my first post. I did my best to search for my question before posting but didn't have any luck.

Long story short, I'm looking for good trails to go hiking and camping within solid driving distance of NYC (6-8 hrs is okay). Want to take the girlfriend for her birthday because she loves hiking. She suggested trails near Charlottesville, VA but I don't have the foggiest where to go. Any advice would more than welcome. Thank you in advance!

Regards,
    Nathan

b s
    BPL Member

@smyth

Hi Nathan. Welcome. Eight hours from NYC could put you anywhere from northern Maine to North Carolina. There are so many options it's tough to even start giving advice. Can you give maybe a little more info – when would you be going? how many miles do you want to do? how many nights?

If you want to stay fairly close to home, I'd start with Harriman State Park (NY), Delaware Water Gap (NJ), and the Catskills. Lots of other choices in the area though. Check out the maps from the NY NJ Trail Conference.

Nathan Harris

@iamnaeth

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess if I had to add some additional context, we'd be looking for something more visually appealing than difficult to hike. Additionally, maybe something with a local camping ground nearby so that we could use that as a base camp. I realize 8 hour drive gives us a large range but we're really open to any recommendations!

Nathan Harris

@iamnaeth

Oh, and given that we'll be doing this at the end of March, warmer is better than colder but that's not a hard rule.

James Stewart
    Spectator

@jstewse

Locale: New England

Hi Nathan,
    If you are in NYC why not explore your home state a bit, the Adirondacks are an amazing area. The park is huge and there's wilderness aplenty, some easier hikes and some pretty difficult ones as well.
    The Catskills are also a very nice area, and closer too. The mountains are a bit smaller, and the park less vast so it could provide some easier hiking. I can't speak too much about campgrounds, but I'm pretty sure both parks at least have a few.
    I'm from CT, and while there's even some pretty nice hiking on the AT in Conn and Mass, I do most of my serious hiking trips in the White Mountains in NH. I think anyone will agree that they're phenomenal.
    I think you're in a pretty decent location, I mean I don't know much about hiking in the southern states, but you are in close relatively close proximity to some really nice ranges in New York and New England.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools