Topic

Andrew Skurka’s trip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Andrew Skurka’s trip?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Not sure if this is the best forum for this, but is there any information about whether Andrew Skurka started his Alaskan trip on time?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

He's posting on twitter via sat phone.

This is the latest couple in reverse order (newest first):

Motel tonight. Plan 34-mi push tom to cabin. High to be 15 below; low, -25. Tough start: last wk, 75 deg in Mass. Confident I can do this.

Just landed in kotz. -25 below, ouch. Intimidating landscape – snow and ice covered tundra, flat and windswept, no lights beyond village

His page is http://twitter.com/andrewskurka

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I've got friends looking for his arrival in Buckland and Koyuk. It has been very cold in that country the past few days, but is supposed to warm up a bit mid week.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

Twitter, Facebook, and a blog on National Geographic.

In Unalakleet. Sunny and brisk temps, very windy. Heading inland tomorrow, right into a headwind. Glad to be going where there are more trees — it's been tough to ever get out of the wind, which always seems strong around here.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Congrats!
    and Onward…

Thanks for posting here!
    Looking forward to more, if and when you can..
    What an amazing journey…

National Geographic Blog

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

You go, Andy! We're all watching your progress with envy and admiration.

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Locale: New England

This is just flat-out awesome. Thanks for documenting – it's really nice to follow along.

cat morris

@catt

Locale: Alaska

Well, this is certainly very exciting! He's doing the Iditarod trail in reverse I guess right now.

Thanks for the twitter link.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The Iditarod mushers have a strong team of powerful dogs. Skurka is on his own.

–B.G.–

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

one step at a time : )

good luck!

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Locale: Minnesota

From Andy Skurka in the National Geographic Blog

April 1, Day 19, Mile 500.8
    Posted from Ruby, Alaska

I'm almost three weeks into this trip, and today I feel much more hardened than I did when I landed pre-dawn in Kotzebue 500 miles ago. The process of morphing from just an aspiring adventurer into a lean, mean adventuring machine has three components: physical, mechanical, and mental…

Read more at National Geographic Blog

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

My math is a bit rusty, but it looks like he is doing 26 miles a day. I'm thinking of a DNA scan when he gets to Southeast to see if he really is human.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

This is great stuff. He's a beast.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Amazing mileage!

Hope he will get plenty of good food to eat at the next town.

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Another post from Andrew on the National Geographic Blog

April 7 , Day 25
    Posted from Takotna, Alaska

What I've Seen: From Bering Sea to (Almost) the Alaska Range
    From Unalakleet I followed the historic Kaltag portage route, an 80-mile connector between the the Bering Sea and the Alaskan interior. I was greatly looking forward to heading inland—the bitter temps and winds combined with a shortage of naturally sheltered areas had really worn on me. The landscape changed noticeably as I move east away from the coast. I started in barren tundra, transitioned into textbook taiga, and finished among large spruces and even stands of birch. The 30-mph winds receded somewhere in there, too, which may actually have had more to do with the weather fronts, but it nonetheless added to the effect…

Please visit the NGA blog for more

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

From McGrath.

Pls remove the NG posts from this forum. Linking to them is fine but I'm sure the NG folks wouldn't appreciate them being copied here. Thanks.

If anyone wants to check my DNA there's a pile of puke between Ruby and Takotna that I'm sure has plenty of my double helixes. Indeed I'm human.

Taking a day off tomorrow. Have a package in Nikolai, 50 mi away, and the PO is closed this weekend. And I could use a day to regain some strength and weight — I basically went 3 days without eating or drinking anything, and somewhat zombie-skied about 100 miles during that. I look way too skinny for this point in the trip — I'd be nervous if I looked like this in Juneau, never mind in McGrath.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Wise decision to rest and eat.

Hope you make a speedy recovery.

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Sorry about that… didn't think it would be a problem to copy as long as I referenced the source.

Will post a link in the future.

Enjoy your rest day!!

Jeremy G
    BPL Member

@gustafsj

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

On Roman Dial's site
    Forrest McCarthy put together a Great Video on Skurka.
    It is the third one down – Run to the Hills (as of 5/4/10 – it will drift down over time)
    So humbling…

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN
    Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

For those following Andy's trip check out these videos by Roman Dial here and here.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

He was in Cordova 6 days ago having come down the Copper River from the interior a day ahead of schedule. BY now he is either near or out of Yakutat at the rate he is going.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Just spoke with Andrew Skurka from Gustavus. He is leaving this afternoon having arrived there last night. Southeast rain is surprising his Gore Tex jacket, but aside from that he is doing well. He expects to walk a good deal of the country along Lynn Canal and should be in Haines in four days.

We won't be able to meet due to his being ahead of schedule and our work commitments for the remainder of this week.

Anyone in Haines or Skagway that is on this forum, please contact me, as I would like to pass on a request.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

I'm planning on doing the PCT this next May. Skurka's adventure makes mine look like a 3 block walk to school in the suburbs.

Godspeed, bro, praying for you.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools