Topic

Group Hiking and Dirty Tricks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Group Hiking and Dirty Tricks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Justin Tremlin

@notu

Locale: Central Washington

Most of the people I hike with are not “Ultra Light Freaks”. They carry frying pans, half racks of beer and lots of food. Over the years I have notice many “dirty tricks” in hiking that I find amusing. Here are a few.

1. Bring a few servings of a nice Bourbon, Scotch or Whiskey. You don’t have to care too much, just enough for anybody who brought beer to have a shot. Of course you get a beer in return. The benefit is not cost but weight. You didn’t have to carry 5 beers just 5fl oz of Whiskey.

2. Bring a fishing pole but not a frying pan. This works well with newbie’s. You catch the fish but use their frying pan (that you did not carry). Of course you need to catch some fish for them as well it’s only fair.

3. Bring “exotic” ultra light food. They will want to try it and in return you can have some of their delicious and “heavy” meal as well. This usually on works on younger hikers.

What are some of the trick you’ve picked up in your travels?

*Note* I’m aware this can be viewed badly. I don’t personally take advantage of anybody. I just thought it would be fun to discuss.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

One gal was proud of the fact that she had gotten her base weight down to 15 pounds. She borrowed some UL pack for a group trip, and we had all arrived at the trailhead. Everybody scampered around loading up. Then I got one of the guys to distract this gal, so he led her out into a meadow to show her a flower. While she was away from her pack, we added a 20-pound rock to it. Then I signalled the guy to bring her back. With everybody standing around, I said, "Let's saddle up." The gal swung the pack up onto her shoulders and immediately got the heavy surprise. She started to stagger off down the trail with it, but we had to break it to her as a joke. It would not have been a joke if we had let her go very far with the rock.
    –B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Snort….Hoosierdaddy jammed a 6 pack of beer in my pack last fall while I was off behind a tree peeing before we left.

Hardehar.

Justin Tremlin

@notu

Locale: Central Washington

A friend of mine did that with beer on a one day ski tour. There were four of us and my buddy Chris loaded up the new buys pack with beer. The new buy was young and very athletic. He kicked our ass all the way up. 4000ft later we were enjoying cold ones at the top. Luckily the new guy thought it was pretty funny. Now when we go out we have to watch our backs (literally).

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

Justin, that's a great trick. It was featured on the Eiger Sanction with Clint Eastwood. Great flick, and one of the only movies that is decent in respect to climbing.

Jack Sharkbite

@trailscum666

Locale: pacific nw

I get to camp, set up my tent hella fast and sit in it. I never help my trails buddies as they scramble to pitch and make camp. Just sit in my shelter and get faded. Every night.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools