Topic

Z55 Mod

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Z55 Mod

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Richardson

@redmatt

Locale: Midwest

I'm considering modifying my Z55 for an AT Thru Hike. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and how much weight is to be saved before I butcher this pack. I think I could save some considerable weight by removing the brain, bladder divider, and the front pouch and configuring it more like the Vapor trail. I thought about just getting a Vapor trail, but I really like the way this pack feels, transfers weight, etc. Any help would be appreciated. I should be breaking the 10lbs barrier for the first time. Gear list to come.

Joseph Johnson

@jjohn06

For what its worth I ripped of the top pack and the shovelpocket/front pouch section of my z55 on my AT Thruhike. Then I rigged up some webbing an ladderlocks I found in a hikerbox for compression.

I have no idea the weight savings, but I went from disliking the pack to enjoying it quite a bit. The modifications slimmed down the pack alot and I felt alot more mobile. It also looked pretty neat, like a Mad-Max turtle shell on the back.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

So you cut off the entire shovit (or whatever they call it) assembly, or just the pocket part?

I've always thought that pocket was about worthless- it holds a map and some chapstick…

Joseph Johnson

@jjohn06

Yeah, I cut the whole shovit part off the pack. When I get back home, in about a week, I can weigh it for you and/or send a picture.

The big problem at this point that I have with the pack is there is no pocketf for water and I can't stand a blatter/hose set up.

Matthew Richardson

@redmatt

Locale: Midwest

I think that's the way to go. I figure I'll rig up a water bottle holster on a shoulder strap or create a mesh water bottle pocket on the side. I would love to see a picture of what you've done and if you could weigh it that would be cool too. I believe there is a bladder sleeve on the inside as well. Did you cut that out too?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools