Topic

Sierra cups

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sierra cups

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I picked up a Ti sierra cup at REI for $15. Other than drinking hot stuff, I really like them for an all-around camp dish. The Ti rig is all of 1.4oz and holds 10.5 fluid oz./310ml.

I saw one fellow walking his dog with a sierra cup tucked in his belt, with the open end of the cup against his hip and the hook of the handle under and over the top of his belt. Clever.

Anyway, the cup is bowl, food prep container, berry bucket. Could be an uber-minimal boiler on a solo overnight with a wing stove and an Esbit tab.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Dale,

I have a collection of theses, old and new. And carry one every once in a while for nostagia's sake. But I do find the tapered design of a wider top somewhat inefficient.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

"I saw one fellow walking his dog with a sierra cup tucked in his belt, with the open end of the cup against his hip and the hook of the handle under and over the top of his belt. Clever. "

I'm fairly certain that is the way these cups are designed to be carried, or hanging off a pack etc. The idea is that it's readily available to dip into a stream or other water source and take a quick drink.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

>>I saw one fellow walking his dog with a sierra cup tucked in his belt, with the open end of the cup against his hip and the hook of the handle under and over the top of his belt. Clever.

That is how the cup was meant to be carried.

I used one when I first started backpacking in 1975, but never really liked it…

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

Yeah, I remember the good old days where any stream was fair game for a sierra cup. But, other than that they're fairly useless. They're wide and uninsulated, so anything hot in them soon becomes cold. They're too small and prone to spills to be good cookware, and not deep enough to be a good bowl.

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

Locale: Midwest

I carry one of these because it is inefficient….After making my hot drink from boiling water, I usually want it to cool down so I can drink it soon. Sure, I might like to have a hot drink stay warmer a bit longer in the evening, but I usually have an agenda in the morning and the faster my Java or hot chocolate cools, the faster I can drink and be on my way.

My ti sierra cup has seen better days – it had been squashed on a few trip and I just beat it back to shape with a hammer….still going strong.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Dale — good idea. Thank you.

Sierra Sylinder

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools