Topic

Thickening Soup or Stew

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Thickening Soup or Stew

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Megan Figura

@bluetang

In our family my mom and I like thinner soups, stews and Chili's while my dad likes it thick. Here's a tip my Great Grandmother passed on that we tried on the trail this past winter with some Chicken Noodle soup.

At home mash together clarified (or regular butter if your trip is short) along with some all purpose flour. This needs to be done in equal parts. So a tablespoon of butter to a tablespoon of flour.

To thicken a soup or stew add some of this mixture a teaspoon at a time on the trail and simmer.

Being that my Great Grandmother is 88 and lived through the depression, she has given my dad alot of interesting things. She pronounced this as "Burmany" but after we did some searching found that it's actual name is Beurre Manie' – or French for kneaded butter.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Great tip Megan!

Ben
    BPL Member

@benen

I thicken soups and stews using a product called Besan or Chick Pea Flour from indian grocery stores. It serves the same purpose as corn flour except it is made from chick peas so it is full of protien.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Use instant mashed potatoes. A little bit will do 'ya.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools