Topic

1.3 ounce hydration pack!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1.3 ounce hydration pack!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    >> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Here is my MYOG 1.3 oz hydration pack I made for biking. The pocket is just big enough to fit a tiny pump, wallet, keys, spoke wrench, patch kit and a few hex keys. I did the zigzag cord to carry a jacket when needed. Since I didn't use bungee cord I have a hook at the end to take up the slack. The material is 20d Momentum 90. The shoulder straps have a 2mm thin padding inside so they feel nice. Since the fabric is so thin I trimmed the corners of the platypus & added a tiny amount of insulation tape at the bottom. It looks complected but I started out making a simple square bottom stuff sack. I added the pocket, cord zigzag loops, top draw cord & shoulder straps all before sewing the bottom of the bag up. Once the bottom was sewn up I attached the bottom part of the shoulder straps. I am planning on adding sternum & waist straps. Since this is for biking the extra straps really help keep the pack in place.

The pack looks even better in person :)

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Locale: SouthEast

Very nice Bender. Any pics?

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Pic is showing up now!

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Well done!

Question: Usually "hydration pack" implies a hose. You show the bottleneck at the top, which would not properly feed a hose. What am I missing? Also, does the weight include everything attached?

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

You are missing the hose because it isn't in the picture ;) The picture does show a standard cap. Since the hose goes on the top it can be shorter than usual. I have the platypus with hose & bite valve down to 3.1 oz so total weight is just 4.4 oz.

Henry Blake
    BPL Member

@dragon

Locale: Minnesota

If you carry 16 ounces of water on a one hour 22.5 mile bike ride when riding your 18.7 pound bike, how much will the total hydration package weigh? Good job, by the way!

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

20.4 oz carried in that scenario ;) My MTB is right around 18.7 pounds by the way hehe.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Bender, how are you rigging your platy so that the hose can come out the top? Platys hoses are gravity fed…I assume you made a custom cap where the hose runs through the cap, and directly to the bottom of the platy (a la camelbak better bottles?)

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Konrad since the platypus is sealed the hose at the top works fine.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools