Topic

Sieera Aixorta – Valencia

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Sieera Aixorta – Valencia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Spain 2010 Morning 1

Sierra Aixorta 2

I took these on a recent trip to Spain. The first is near Tarbena, Costa Blanca. The second is a few Km away on the Sierra Aixorta.

If anyone likes them, I'll put some more up. :-)

Camera is a 5mp Canon S2IS

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

NM

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Post 'em…..

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

OK, two more:

This is Bernia from the side of Aitana above Guadeleste.

Bernia from Aitana

And this is the coastal Strip from the steep bit of Aitana.

Aitana cliff

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

No takers?

Ok, one more for tonight:

Towards Sella

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> And this is the coastal Strip from the steep bit of Aitana.

Yeah, bit steep with a pack on, for sure …

Cheers

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Well it only weighed 10 pounds including some food and water, and we stuck to the path. ;-)
    Here's Kath showing off her plush 4oz inflatable pillow in the Golite Hut1 the following morning.

hut1-sella

And here's the view from our next campsite at El Gullerot that evening. A stunning location next to a small farmhouse restored by our new friend Sjaak. The fanged ridge to the left is El Castellets.

El Gullerot 1

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> plush 4oz inflatable pillow
    What does she think of it?
    What brand?

cheers

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

She loves it. So much so, she texted her mate who was leaving Benidorm that day to go and get another one for me. I'm undecided, but it might work well with the BA clearview I suppose.

It's still in Kath's bag from her visit to her mate at the weekend to pick up the booze and bits we gave her to bring home for us as we passed through Benidorm. Tonight I'll see if that one came in the original box so I can give you the skinny. As I remember, they cost about 2 euros.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Roger, it's made by a company called bestway. Just air inflated, not self inflating or insulated. Cheap as chips.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

What's that in bloom on the lower right hand slope? Almonds?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Cola, yes, well spotted. They are beautiful at this time of year. White and pink flowered almond trees festoon some of the terraces originally constructed by the Moors during their occupation of Spain. Here's a shot of El Castellets from the other side of the ridge showing more of the trees. In the early evening light they look fantastic, and when the wind blows, you get a 'snow shower' of petals.

almonds-el castellets

The track leading to Sjaaks finca (farmhouse).

Sjaak-track

And the terrace beside the house with it's wonderful view over the valley below.

Sjaak-terrace

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> a company called bestway
    Thanks Rog

Edit:
    And accordingly almost impossible to find via Google or Amazon! Bestway apparently make a horde of pool toys and gadgets – finding a small flocked pillow in that lot has proven impossible so far. No worries, I understand what it is. I think local companies have similar products.

Cheers

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Roger, sorry about the wild goose chase. It's quite a heavy guage of PVC. I'm sure one at half the weight would be strong enough. The flocked surface does feel nice to the skin though. I took a bit of inflated packaging material for my pillow, but the Spanish 'campo' made short work of it…

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Here's a couple more shots from our trip, hope I'm not boring everyone.

El Castellets with Puig Campagna behind:
    castellets-puig
    Puig in the evening light. This is seriously good limestone scrambling territory.
    puig-evening

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Here's a couple more shots from our trip, hope I'm not boring everyone

Rog, please don't keep apologizing. It's great looking at pictures of new places to go around the world. The photos help determine which ones to choose and to get an idea of what is out there. And it's just plain fun to see where people have gone and what they've done.

Those blossoming almonds look just like the blossoming peaches here in Japan!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

I'd love to visit Japan. A place of deep culture.

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

Roger,
    I have seen those pillows in Big W & Ray's outdoors over here, the suede finish works great to stop your face sticking.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I may have my history wrong but I believe that area was a part of Carthage and the home of Hannibal before the Romans. Who knows who originally built those terraces!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Cola, I'm sure you are right that earlier cultures such as the Carthaginians, Phoenicians and Romans set up and improved algricultural systems on the Iberian peninsula. I think the Morrish Caliphate probably did the most to improve and extend the irrigation systems prior to the major population expansion of the 1700's in the area.

"The Moors expanded and improved Roman irrigation systems to help develop a strong agricultural sector. They introduced many new crops including the orange, lemon, peach, apricot, fig and pomegranate as well as saffron, sugar cane, cotton, silk and rice which remain some of Spain's main products today."

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools