Topic

1.15 oz. stove/windscreen/pot support

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1.15 oz. stove/windscreen/pot support

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ostlund

@mark-ostlund

I bought a Brasslite Turbo alcohol stove (stripped down burner head) and a Vargo Titanium pot from backpackinglight.com. I just needed a good windscreen/pot stand to make it work.

I used the basic windscreen from SGT Rock combined with another idea I got from [email protected] to use a titanium tent stake and the pot handles as the complete pot support, yielded a total stove/windscreen/pot support for 1.15 oz. and boiled 16 oz. of water in 4.25 minutes. This is much faster than the Brasslite Turbo info on backpacker light.com.

Sgt Rock notes that the windscreen diameter (1/4 inch all the way around the pot) is much more important than the height of the windscreen up the pot. This allowed me to make the windscreen fit in the pot for storage. (Common wisdom said to take it up to within 1/8 to 1/4 inch of the top – this would have made it impossible to store without bending it up.) As it is the vargo pot is designed to take a standard nalgene bottle which still fits in the pot with the windscreen. It serves to mold the windscreen into a perfect circle so put it in there at home even if you have graduated to platypus for lower weight on hikes.

Here are the two URLs that twisted together yielded the perfect (well almost) windscreen/pot support combo for the Brasslite Turbo burner head and Vargo Titanium pot:

http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/wind_screen.html
    http://www.kzpg.com/Backpacking/Stove/Howard%27s_Esbit_Stove_3.0.html

dan kutcher

@danscapes49

I just ordered my bare turbo and intend to set it up exactly the way you have yours. Maybe I’ll stop tinkering with homemade cat food, soft drink, etc. stoves. Probably not.
    Thanks for the info.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools