Topic

30 mile Utah canyon loop?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning 30 mile Utah canyon loop?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

I ended up doing an amazing trip in Escalante last month, thanks for everyone’s advice! But I need more now. My girlfriend and I are looking to do a 30-mile loop somewhere in Utah, preferably closer to Moab/Monticello if possible. We love off-trail canyons, and can handle moderate class 3/4 scrambles, but would prefer to not bring any gear. Planning on doing this trip in late November. Any ideas?

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Youngs – Lean To loop in Dark Canyon. But start from the Sundance Trail, since driving out on North Long Point could be seasonally too late.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Well, there is a Butts Canyon that is just west of Blanding, near Arch Canyon and Texas Canyon.  Maybe you could cobble together a hike in that area.  Though lower Dark Canyon is lower elevation, and would be a bit warmer.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Any of the loops in Steve Allen’s three guidebooks would serve you well. He writes excellent guidebooks which include info about class 3-4 obstacles.

Canyoneering 2 – Technical Loop Hikes in Southern Utah. He suggests that four of the seven routes in the book are viable up until Dec 1. We’ve hiked variants of four of the routes in this book and in our opinion they are five-star routes. Each route is roughly a week long, but you could trim them down to fit your timeframe.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

Thanks all! I’m liking the idea of the Lean To canyon loop… I’m going to put in an order for some of Steve Allen’s books today. And there’s a Butts Canyon?!

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Yup.  It’s NNW of Arch and Texas Canyons and SE of Dark Canyon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools