Topic

30-40 L Panel Loader with Good Weight Transfer to Hips?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 30-40 L Panel Loader with Good Weight Transfer to Hips?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Hi.  I’m looking for a day hiking style (around 30-40 Liter) panel loader that has excellent weight transfer to hips, so that very little to none of the weight is on the shoulders.  I will use this pack in a little over 2 months when I will lead a month long 8th grade trip that will involve a combination of city touring and day hikes.  A panel loader is very helpful, so that I can more easily keep things easily accessible and organized.  I’ll usually be carrying 15-25 pounds 6-8 hours a day. It needs to be long enough to have the hip belt at my hips (I’m 6″2 with a 20 inch torso).

In the past, I have used on this trip what is essentially a school bag with no problem (an REI one) that has a hip belt, but the weight transfer is pretty meaningless probably partially b/c of the torso size has the “hip belt” at my belly button.  I want to avoid putting too much weight on my shoulders since in a kayaking accident I recently messed up my rotator cuff (tendonitis, inflamed muscles, possible partial tear of muscle) and the Orthopedist has recommended 6 more weeks of physical therapy and I’ve already done 3 weeks.

I’ll usually be carrying things like a large First Aid Kit, kids’ daily medicines, papers, 3 liter of water, extra layers,  and sometimes sports equipment or gear for activities etc.

At this point, the closest thing that I’ve found is the Osprey Kestrel 32 and Stratos 34.  They both seem to have some sort of a frame or backpanel that would hopefully lead to meaningful weight transfer to the hip belt.  <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Does anyone have experience with these bags or do people have better ideas?</span>  If I have to abandon the feature of panel loading for real weight transfer to hips, I will do this,

Ben R
    BPL Member

@snowfiend131

Locale: Colorado

Not a panel loader, but consider a gossamer gear gorilla. I recently picked one up as a large daypack for family hikes, and the weight transfer to the hips is great.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I had a Kestrel 32 for years. Hiked  two three times a week with it. Went to the Japanese Alps with it and ran down my Yari and Mt Fuji with it. With about 7Kg. Carried 9Kg on the way up (water carry was 2.5~3L). The weight transfer to the hips is great (for me it did better than on my ULA Ohm 2.0 for example). Apart from the hip belt that did well, one of the things that I think helped was the ability to adjust torso length so well, and the shoulder load lifter straps to cinch the pack closer to your centre of gravity.

I don’t use it as much anymore because my base weight went down and my volume needs went down. But if you want a panel loader that carries weight well and roughly that volume than it’s a great option.

Hope you find what you need.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Elemental Horizons Aduro is a 30 – 40L panel loader, it will carry great.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I travel a lot…for pleasure…and I’m always looking for a panel backpack that I can carry on the plane and drop down at the hostel.  I only use panel packs.  Way easier to grab my clothing and crap.

How about the Kelty Redwing 32 or 44?  I had one of these for 20 years.  Worked great.

How about the MHM Salute 34?  This pack interest me.  It has a cool new front load system that I’ve never seen before.  I’m thinking of buying it just to try it out. https://www.mhmgear.com/packs/salute-34/

How about the Osprey Farpoint 40?  A bit heavy, but lots of pockets.

How about Six Moon Design Traveler?  Bigger than you’re looking for, but may work.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am about to purchase a Marmot Graviton 32L.  It seems OK in the store, REI is selling it for 40% off. If you like Osprey, they stand behind their gear and have replacement parts available: belts, buckles, etc/

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

A bit bigger than what you’re looking for at 64l but there’s the Arc Haul Zip.  I’ve used packs of similar size like the Ohm 2.0 as day packs by cinching them down.

http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_haul_zip.shtml

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Locale: Kalifornia

While certainly not cheap or ultralight, both Kifaru and Hill People Gear have some very nice and bomb-proof options.  Both companies are great to deal with and have outstanding reputations.

I have a Kifaru Tarryall with carbon arrow stays that I love for a do everything, no worries, travel pack.

For half the price of the Kifaru you could pick up an HPG Aston House Backcountry.

lance endo
    BPL Member

@thump-thump

Vargo Ti Arc ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools