Topic

3-Season Shelter: Hexamid (2010) vs Hexamid Pocket Tarp vs normal Tarp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedJul 16, 2019 at 8:08 pm

Hi there,

I’m looking for a new dedicated UL shelter for 3-Seasons and have/see the following options:

I mainly want to use it during 3 seasons when I need a dedicated shelter, expect rain (and take my rain jacket+pants) or I’m on a longer trip. If I don’t expect a lot of rain and if it’s warm I usually take my Gatewood Cape as this saves me weight in total. If it’s colder I take my Moment DW.

The options above have different pros and cons. The old hexamid has a floor and is closed (bug net) plus you can sit upright.
However, it is open at the side and I often take my MLD Superlight Bivy, thus I could also use Pocket Tarp with the Superlight.
Or a normal tarp, the downside is that you cannot sit upright in it but it’s easier to pitch right.

Which pros/cons do you see in those options and how would you decide?

Thanks for your help!

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedJul 17, 2019 at 4:33 am

I have been using a Hexamid since 2010… I wrote a brief Hexamid Review which I should update at some point.  Conclusions are the same but could add another 6 years of experience. I think the Hexamid shines as a bug free space and provides adequate storm protection provided you figure out how to manage your floor… my solution was ultimately a MLD Superlight Bivy.

If bugs weren’t a major concern and I was expecting rain I would go with a properly sized flat tarp. I have done my time using a small tarp… I prefer a bit more space and not having to be so careful in my movement and placement of gear.

If cost was no object I would most likely get Tarptent Aeon-Li.

–Mark

 

PostedJul 17, 2019 at 7:01 am

Thanks for your help Mark, I agree the orig. Hexamid is a very nice option for when you need bug protection. I’m in the European Alps and this is not an issue though, so I might chose a different/more suitable option…

What would you consider a “properly sized tarp”? I noticed that most solo tarps seem to run too small for many. However, I only plan to use the tarp (if it will be a tarp) for 3-Season camping.

The Aeon looks nice indeed, I was thinking about it as well but it’s the heavier option (although with a lot of benefits).
A problem with the Hexamid Pocket Tarp + Doors could be the lack of privacy as I have read in some reviews.

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedJul 18, 2019 at 3:13 pm

If I was expecting a lot of rain, I would go with at least 8×10. Smaller is doable… just takes more care.

PostedJul 19, 2019 at 3:53 pm

I prefer the Hexamid Solo tarp with cuben floor.  Sadly, they discontinued it last year.  Mine was bought around June 2018, right around the time they discontinued it.  I prefer the Hexamid tarp over a flat tarp because, with the cuben floor, there is only a narrow gap giving you protection from many bugs.  I used this in Colorado last year on the CT with good success.  I’m now using the Plexamid and hoping that the stays won’t break.  If it holds up, I’ll probably sell my old 2013 Hexamid tent with mesh floor.  The Plexamid is lighter and has way more interior space.  I didn’t realize how cramped my Hexamid was until I got the Plexamid.  The Plexamid is actually overkill for me–too long (I’m only 5’7″), but it allows me to put my pack inside.  With the Hexamid Solo, I have to put my pack in the vestibule.

PostedJul 19, 2019 at 6:17 pm

Difficult, I really like the Solomid vs Aeon Li vs Plexamid…
Very tempting. I might get the Aeon at some point.

However, still thinking about the floor-/inner-less category and can’t decide if (hexa-) mid or tarp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...