Topic

3-Season or Winter Sleeping Bag Stuffsack Options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 3-Season or Winter Sleeping Bag Stuffsack Options

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

For fall/winter I use either an FF Swift UL or a WM Badger. Both are roomy sized bags with a lot of loft and they take up quite a bit of volume. I prefer not to use compression sacks typically or stuff sacks that barely fit the item, I prefer a stuff sack sized to allow the item to move and conform in the pack when possible. I put my 30 degree quilt in a 15L eVent drysack without needing to force it all. In the case of the 3-Season/Winter bags I find myself struggling to fit it in a stuff sack that fits a pack well. It usually barely packs into a long cylinder that I end up needing to pack vertically.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a dry sack or stuff sack that better fits a pack bottom that would comfortably fit a big sleeping bag? Thanks in advance.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

How about no stuff sack at all? Just stuff it in bottom of pack and let it conform to the pack? Also 1 less item you have to worry about searching for when packing up. I have ditched all stuff sacks years ago. Save a few dollars and a few ounces too..

Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

I should do that but the two things I can’t get past is 1. I like added redundancy on the sleeping bag to keep it dry, I live in a wet area and even with a water resistant bag or a liner I worry about the critical piece getting wet. And 2. The shell fabric getting beat up, I worry about it getting poked by something else in the bag.

At some point I may get over those concerns, but for now I like a little extra protection

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

How about a trash compactor bag or a Nylofume bag?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

During the winter when I expect wet snow in the Sierras, I line my pack with a trash compactor bag. I then insert a 30L Sea to Summit dry bag and proceed to stuff my sleeping system, sleeping clothes, and my after dark clothes (e.g puffy jacket, puffy hat) into the bag. I push everything down from the top, then I close up the Sea to Summit bag with its roll top closure. Next comes my shelter (MLD Duomid). All the pack contents are protected by the trash compactor bag. All the insulation is protected by the trash compactor bag and the Sea to Summit bag.  The two bags do dual use because I often use the pack as a layer of insulation underneath. The trash compactor bag and the Sea to Summit bags help organize gear under my tarp. I do bring a stuff sack for odds and ends at night, like things I remove from my pockets when I use all my clothes as part of my sleeping system.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools