Topic

3 season down jacket for female partner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 3 season down jacket for female partner

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I’m looking to purchase a 3 season down jacket for my partner and understand her needs may be very different than mine. I have access to a discounted Patagonia down sweater hoody but suspect it won’t be warm enough for her. Female hikers, what lightweight  hoodies have you    loved for trips in the 30-60 degree F range? Comfort/warmth more important than weight

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

30*-60* isn’t very cold. My wife uses her Patagonia Down Sweater in those temps, no problem.

BUT, there are lighter options that are warmer.

The Arcteryx Cerium LT Hoody can be found on sale right now. My wife has this too, and loves it.

I think the Montbell Alpine Light Hoody will likely give the best warmth/weight for the buck.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I like bradmacmt’s suggestion of the Mont-Bell Alpine Light if your on a budget.   If money isn’t an issue, what about the Mont-Bell Plasma 1000 Parka or the Rab Zero G?  My wife has a Rab jacket (I think it is an older Neutrino Endurance) that is really puffy and still under a pound.  She runs really cold and that always keeps her warm.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I’ve used a patagonia down sweater without a hoody. I have a down hood and other various hats, buffs, scarves that can add warmth. Also, wearing a rain jacket or windshirt on top of (or under) my patagonia adds warmth.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

My favorite is my custom Nunatak Skaha

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

“I think the Montbell Alpine Light Hoody will likely give the best warmth/weight for the buck.”

this would be my suggestion as well, my wife loves hers- very good weight to warmth ratio

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

LL Bean and Eddie Bauer have 800 to 850 fill jackets and hoodies that are on sale and VERY well made.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Totally different class than the hoodies being recommended (at about $30), but I still use a Costco Triple Star down hoody from several years ago that weighs 12 ounces and is way loftier and warmer than many down sweaters. Discontinued but I see you can still find them on Ebay, and I bet you could get one from Gear Swap here as lots of BPLers were buying them. Check out this old thread for some reactions to it from women and men using them and for sizing (it’s made for kids): https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/54208/

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Thanks guys

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

my wife uses the Montbell Superior Down hoody for three season use. It’ll fit a fleece hoody underneath, and the combination is plenty warm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools