Topic

3 Man Glacier Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 3 Man Glacier Tent

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Darren Jakal
    BPL Member

@djelica

Locale: mountains of western canada

Hi Everyone,

Some years ago I joined this forum to ask some questions about a tent I was designing. I have a working model that I’m now refining and will be asking some questions on here.

The tent is meant to be used by a 3 member rope team for glacier travel. It has a boiler for melting snow and boiling water. The boiler can be converted to become a wood burning stove.

I have used a Black Diamond Megamid for my winter adventures for many years and find the centre pole pyramid to be the best type of tent for winter camping on snow.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Darren JakalTesting

Darren Jakal
    BPL Member

@djelica

Locale: mountains of western canada

So this is a One-Season tent and that is the winter season where I am camping on snow and the bear and bugs are asleep or dead. I cook and eat in this tent whereas I don’t cook or eat in a tent when the bears are awake. For this reason I use a completely different type of tent for anything else.

There is a thread going on about the Physics of Pyramid tents and the one thing that stands out in my experience with these types of tents (I’ve used a Black Diamond Megamid since the 90s for winter camping) is that the anchors must be bombproof. If your anchors are no good the tent will fail.

Take care, Darren

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools