Topic

3.9 oz Venom UHMWPE TPU Coated Fabric Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 3.9 oz Venom UHMWPE TPU Coated Fabric Backpack

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Locale: SoCal

So Ripstop By The Roll Recently came out with some 3.9 oz Venom UHMWPE TPU Coated Fabric. I bought some and made my 5th MYOG backpack with it!

Let me know if you have any questions on the working with the fabric, below are some pictures of my final backpack. If you want to see the entire build processes with more pictures I blogged about it here.

AG
    BPL Member

@dlkj83jdk3883ll

nice! is the 3.9 oz Venom as waterproof as the DCF hybrids? and can you tape the seams?

and how does the venom compare to the 6.5 oz Woven Melange?

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

I don’t think the Melange is waterproof, and the Venom is just super light compared to the Melange.

Tape was a mixed bag for me, the dyneema tape I had didn’t stick well but I think it was more because its only and inch thick and where I was applying it it needed to be thicker. In some spots where I didn’t need it thicker it stuck great.

I have not fully tested the waterproofness of the Venom but I do have some scraps I can play with later and get back to you.

Isaac C
    BPL Member

@ic1ark

How is this holding up? Also have you tried thermally bonding it together with a clothes iron, with or without wearing off the PU coating?

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Isaac C, unfortunately havent put to many miles on it…ITs held up great though. Only reason why I don’t have a lot of mile son it is because I kept iterating and making more packs lol

I have not tried any bonding methods, I have just sewn it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools