Topic

trekking pole grips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) trekking pole grips

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Does it make much of difference when using foam, cork, or rubber grips?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Foam and cork are much warmer in the cold. Cork (or the faux cork GG uses) is also not slick on sweaty hands.

I think the GG grips are the bees knees. And you can buy them separately and mate them with strong poles.

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

I like either foam or cork, but equally important for me is the strap, as I tend to have most of my weight on that and only a loose grip on the handle. Also, I like handles that have a bit of angle to them.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

David,
    Do you (or anyone else) know where to buy the GG grips other then GG themselves? I spent some time trying to souce them but I couldn't find anything as nice and contoured as what they offer.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Dennis:

A lot of the difference is going to be subjective. For example, I prefer the foam-like material of Titanium Goat poles. They dry out much faster — whereas when wet, cork tend to stay wet and clammy longer! The subjective part is that this may or may not be an issue for you.

As for the contour of the grip, again, having used both TG and GG LT4's — I have a slight preference for the TG's smooth and comfy grip over the GG's sculpted but (to me) less comfy grip. So again, subjective.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

"Do you (or anyone else) know where to buy the GG grips other then GG themselves?"

I do not. 20 bucks seemed reasonable enough.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I prefer cork over foam but foam seems to dry faster, is cheaper and more durable. Both are nice and are more of a personal preference.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools