Topic

Hammock tips for WARM(ish) weather?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hammock tips for WARM(ish) weather?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jordan Yaruss

@samplesize

Hello. I know there are a lot of threads on hammock warmth, but I didn’t want to hijack one with this quesion…

I’m using my hammock mainly in Summer and a bit on either end, so I’m not expecting temps below 40-45F, usually warmer.

My thinking is that, for a minimum of weight, a thin (1/4″?) foam pad cut to size, inside the hammock and under the sleeping bag should keep me comfortable.

Any comments or other suggestions?

By the way: Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker A-sym, WM 20 degree bag.

Thank you!

Stephen Parmenter
    BPL Member

@parmens

Locale: OH

Don’t cut it to size. You want it full width so it wraps up around your shoulders, because the HH bottom compresses everything underneath you and up around your sides. But yes, other wise a 1/4″ or 3/8″ closed cell foam should be enough.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Ditto Stephen’s comment, all the way. You can get 1/4 closed cell foam from automobile upholstery suppliers. You can get 1/8″ from building supplies. It’s used under hardwood floors. Don’t know how durable it is. Haven’t used it.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Warmer weather comes with its own challenges…most definately a 1/4- 3/8 inch ccf will keep you warm….but as it warms it will become too much…especially if you are prone to sweaty back and butt… a wet back is no fun at 55-60 as the temp drops from say 65-70 when you turned in…learn to turn it over, to put the no sweat side up, when you return from a bio break…For those who would do without the pad beware…at 70 most will need something, for sure by 60 and da** sure by 55….

For really warm nights pitch in a windward location vs the protected lee loction desired for cooler weather…also pick East West tree orientation vs your cooler North South location….Put your head on the west end…cooling westerly breezes will then cool your head and shoulders….(you get to see the sunrise too)…camp higher to get more breezes….learn to rig your tarp to be high over the windward end and tight to the feet , this will often catch the breeze and roll it down over you.

Learn to “open the windows” of your under quilt…this will allow cool air to your head, shoulders, legs and feet while keeping the vital organ warm and dry…

Sweat disapation when temperatures fluctuate around the edge of the comfort zone is a real issue…

Remember I’m biased…these are still good points.

Pan

Jordan Yaruss

@samplesize

I was actually thinking along the lines of the Oware Evazote pad, cut to 24″ width. Any drawbacks there?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Yah. The evazote is sorta sticky.

Stephen Parmenter
    BPL Member

@parmens

Cut down to a 24″ width, it won’t wrap around your shoulders, and at around 70° and cooler, you will get cold.

Jordan Yaruss

@samplesize

It comes from Oware 40″ wide. Would you recommend keeping that full width?

Stephen Parmenter
    BPL Member

@parmens

“It comes from Oware 40″ wide. Would you recommend keeping that full width?” – definitely

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Have you looked at the JRB Weather Shield Bottom or the Hennessy Hammock UnderCover and UnderPad? I’ve tried using pads inside the hammock, it works but not as well as the underneath the hammock options. I made a 1/8 inch closed cell pad with a space blanket laminate that worked. It did cause the sweaty back problem, however. I cut it into an ellipse wide enough that I could be on my side with my knees up and not run out of pad.

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Locale: South East U.S.

if you go to the speer hammocks web site, you`l see that he sells a wider pad. but also, check out the SEP (segmented pad extender). i won`t try to explain it… it would be far better to see all the details on that page.
    having the CCF pad in the very light-weight sleeve helps to move presperation away to evaporate also. …tim

Jordan Yaruss

@samplesize

Thanks everyone for all your answers! The Hennessy UnderCover/Pad looks like a great choice, but it’s little pricey. I think I’m going to try the Oware pad, uncut this time out.

Truthfully, I’ve been eyeing the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo tent recently, so I may end up selling the hammock.

I’ll let you know what happens!

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

FWIW, I just got back from a trip with some hammock users and one of the (first time) users was having issues with pad stability & comfort in his Hennessey. He had a full length closed cell blue foam Walmart pad that wouldn’t stay put. We cut it down to two-thirds length (or so) and he used both sections. He placed the long portion under his torso. It stopped just short of the bottom slit so that automatically meant less fussing with the pad. The remaining section he placed perpendicular to the longer section, right at his shoulder & head, forming a ‘T’ shape. That piece wrapped around his shoulders and gave the hammock a bit more shape. Temps were in the 50’s at night, maybe 8-10 mph gusts, and he was comfortable throughout. Well worth experimenting with for the cheap price.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools