Topic

what to use for bivy bottom

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear what to use for bivy bottom

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel Pramuk
    BPL Member

@gpramuk

Locale: West

I know this is redundant, often asked, but I can't seem to find anything concise.

What should I use for the bottom of my bivy?
    .48 oz cuben is too thin. Right?
    can you use a polycro ground cloth? I used the same sheet all year last year and it didn't get any holes in it…
    1.1 oz sil-nylon too slippery?

What is preferred if I don't want to carry a ground cloth?
    What could I use if I do carry a groundcloth?

I'm a mega-lightweight spaz of course

For the AT
    Guess I need three yards of whatever it is…

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Silnylon is not too slippery. Allow enough room to put your pad inside the bivy, then slipping off of it won't be a problem. Allow enough material on the top to allow for the loft of your bag and the height of your pad. You do not want the top to be compressing your sleeping bag.
    Cuben should be okay for a ground cover. The only cuben fiber I have is on a pack and I would think it might be quite noisy to sleep on it. It would be like lying on crumples up newspaper!

The bivy would be your ground cover. Before a bivy, I used a piece of coated nylon just slightly larger than my sleeping bag. No need for the ground cover to cover the entire area under your tarp or tent. I prefer being floorless.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools