Topic

help with list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists help with list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    leigh baker

@lbaker

I am taking the leap from canoe/kayak camping/day hiking to backpacking. Here is my virtual list. Please feel free to rip it up. Many of the items have yet to be purchased.
    items worn or carried weight in oz.
    plb 5 (I solo a lot)
    gps 4
    compass 1.5
    knife 1.3 I haven't found the .7 one
    bear spray 12
    whistle .5
    id/cards/map 1.8
    1 trek pole 8
    camera 8
    socks 2
    liners 1
    boots 34 (bought for Big Bend trip, will go lighter)
    shirt 7
    glasses with shades .8
    pants 10
    cap 2
    undies 1.5
    mini LED .3
    lipbalm .5
    subtotal 100.7/6.3 lbs

Pack ULA Ohm 21
    Items packed
    WBBB hammock 20
    tarp 11
    tq 20
    uq 12.9
    cutdown pad for feet/sit pad 2

clothes
    buff .5
    convert. pants 10
    ss shirt 3
    ls shirt 7
    wool socks 2
    liners 1
    wind jacket 2.5
    midwt capilene set 12
    rain jacket 12
    rain pants 9
    campshoes 10 alternatives?
    warm cap 3
    conv. gloves 3
    liners 1
    down jacket 6.3
    kitchen
    OP Sack 1
    tit. pot 3.7
    minibic.4
    spork .3
    stove tit. esbit wing .4
    windscreen .4
    scrubby .1
    bandana 1
    Misc
    headlamp 1
    toiletries 4
    F/A kit 6 need to pare down?
    tp/zipbag 1
    towel 1
    4lith batt. 1.1
    mp3 2 for books
    bug net (summer) .4
    para cord 2
    trash bags 1
    2zip locks 1
    bug dope/sunscreen 2 (haven't actually measured this yet)
    hydration
    2 platy 2L 2.6
    soda btl to collect water 1
    subtotal 205.5/ 12.8 lbs
    consumables
    food 102
    water 70
    fuel 5
    chlorine tabs 1
    subtotal 178/11.1 lbs
    Total 484.2 30.2lbs

Thanks,
    leigh

Chris Gray
    Spectator

@chrisfol

Locale: Denver, Coloado

– The GPS could be left at home, a map and compass is all you really need, and even then you will only need those off-trail.
    – Bear spray: Nix
    – Trekking pole is a little heavy– there are a few options out there that are 7-8oz for a pair.
    – Boots– look at trail runners and save around 8oz.
    – Nix the spare pair of pants, save 10oz
    – Mini LED, for what purpose? Nix.
    – Surely you do not need 4 shirts? (Shirt, ss shirt, ls shirt & midwt Capilene shirt). You could get by with just one or two shirts.
    – Nix the campshoes and just untie your boots or trail runners in camp. Save 10oz
    – Nix the scrubby– use your bandana or nature's own.
    – FAK and toiletries are heavy (10oz total)– I am sure you could throw things out and get the total down to 3oz.
    – Nix the towel.
    – What are the batteries for? You could just use new batteries in your devices before you leave and that should last for a typical 3-4 day trip. Any longer and you may as well just leave the electronics at home.
    – MP3 – I would nix, but it is a personal call.
    – TP- Personal preference.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

I solo a lot too and while it's a personal preference and I don't know the region you'll be in and at what exposure level I personally would take neither a plb or a gps. You should always leave a trip plan with someone trustworthy and really that should suffice. I try to take as little as possible with me that could fail.

<<
    plb 5 (I solo a lot) < Leave
    gps 4 < Leave
    compass 1.5 < Lighter Option shoot for less than an ounce
    knife 1.3 I haven't found the .7 one < some people use only a razorblade. Unless it's serving a lot of multipurposes I would look for something < .5
    bear spray 12 < Personal Prefrence and region specific I say leave
    whistle .5 < I would personally spring for a sternum strap that has a whistle 8 bux from MLD
    id/cards/map 1.8
    1 trek pole 8 < you shouldn't need this for your hammock setup, I would leave it.
    camera 8 < find a lighter camera
    socks 2
    liners 1 < If you have trail runners you don't need liners
    boots 34 (bought for Big Bend trip, will go lighter) < definitely get some trail runners
    shirt 7 < lightweight synthetic
    glasses with shades .8
    pants 10
    cap 2
    undies 1.5
    mini LED .3 < unless you're night hiking I would suggest keeping this one and dumping the head lamp. I like the impulse or equivalent.
    lipbalm .5
    subtotal 100.7/6.3 lbs revised losing items not trading out would be 70.2 oz / 4.38 lbs My worn weight last weekend with expected lows in the 20s at night was 3 lbs 7 oz

Pack ULA Ohm 21
    Items packed
    WBBB hammock 20
    tarp 11
    tq 20
    uq 12.9
    cutdown pad for feet/sit pad 2 < I personally don't believe in sit pads, and most hammock users use their hammock to sit in once they get to camp.

clothes
    buff .5
    convert. pants 10 < no need for second pair of pants
    ss shirt 3 < ditch
    ls shirt 7 < ditch
    wool socks 2
    liners 1 < ditch
    wind jacket 2.5
    midwt capilene set 12
    rain jacket 12
    rain pants 9
    campshoes 10 alternatives? < ditch
    warm cap 3
    conv. gloves 3 < unless it's really cold 1 pair of liners should be sufficient.
    liners 1
    down jacket 6.3
    kitchen
    OP Sack 1
    tit. pot 3.7
    minibic.4
    spork .3
    stove tit. esbit wing .4
    windscreen .4
    scrubby .1 < you could ditch this but .1 oz I think is ok
    bandana 1
    Misc
    headlamp 1 < as I said if you night hike then keep this, otherwise ditch
    toiletries 4 < too much use sandwich bag to store.
    F/A kit 6 need to pare down? < need to pare down a lot
    tp/zipbag 1
    towel 1 < ditch that's why you have a bandana
    4lith batt. 1.1 < ditch use fresh batteries
    mp3 2 for books < luxury item
    bug net (summer) .4
    para cord 2
    trash bags 1
    2zip locks 1
    bug dope/sunscreen 2 (haven't actually measured this yet)
    hydration
    2 platy 2L 2.6
    subtotal 205.5/ 12.8 lbs < after losing items and not paring down any 171.5 / 10.71 lbs < good baseweight for a hammock user, and by paring down you could still be under 10 lbs.
    consumables
    food 102
    water 70
    fuel 5 < how much esbit are you taking? that should be 10 tablets, a lot of cooking. How long a trip are you planning for? 102 oz should be a little over 3 days? can't imagine using more than a 5 to 6 esbit tablets in that time.
    subtotal 178/11.1 lbs
    Total 484.2 30.2lbs
    >>
    So by just removing some items you can lose a little over 4 lbs, that's without getting some of the items pared down as discussed. 26 lbs is a lot more comfortable than 30

Just my thoughts and you should go with what's comfortable to you. My level of comfort and safety may be significantly different than yours.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Questions for Leigh,
    Where are you camping? What is the weather? What time of year? What elevation? How long of a trip? What kind of milage???

By simply NIXING items you''' be fine without, I managed to subtract approx. 57 ounces from your pack, saving 3.5 pounds!

====================================

plb 5 (I solo a lot)

[easilly NIXED]
    gps 4

[easilly NIXED]
    knife 1.3 I haven't found the .7 one

[easilly NIXED] – – – take a 0.1 oz single edge razor blade
    bear spray 12 – – – – Where are you camping? In Big Bend Texas? If so, this could be NIXED.
    id/cards 1

[easilly NIXED]

WBBB hammock 20

[easilly NIXED] Add a sleeping pad, approx 9 oz.
    tq 20 (does this mean TOP quilt?)
    uq 12.9 (does this mean BOTTOM quilt?)
    cutdown pad for feet/sit pad 2

[easilly NIXED]

Question about clothes. I am a little bit confused about what you'll be wearing and what you'll be carring inside your pack.
    (is this the entire list of CARRIED clothes shown below?)
    =====================================
    buff .5
    convert. pants 10 – – – – – You list PANTS in your WORN items. No need for both.
    ss shirt 3 – – – – – You list a SHIRT in your WORN items. Do you need both?
    ls shirt 7- – – – – You list a SHIRT in your WORN items. Do you need both?
    wool socks 2
    liners 1
    wind jacket 2.5
    midwt capilene set 12 – – – What do you mean by "set" ?
    rain jacket 12
    rain pants 9

[easilly NIXED] – – – – Nylon hiking pants dry quickly.
    campshoes 10

[easilly NIXED] – – – – The alternatives is wear your hiking shoes, meaning ZERO weight for camp shoes.
    warm cap 3
    conv. gloves 3
    liners 1
    down jacket 6.3
    =====================================

scrubby .1

[easilly NIXED]

headlamp 1 – – – you list a mini LED .3 above, no need to take two.
    toiletries 4 – – – – that seems high
    F/A kit 6 need to pare down? – – – – 6 ounces is a bit high for a short trip. cut it down to approx 4.
    tp/zipbag 1

[easilly NIXED]
    towel 1

[easilly NIXED]
    4lith batt. 1.1

[easilly NIXED]
    mp3 2 for books

[easilly NIXED]
    trash bags 1 – – – – for what? A pack liner as waterprooving?
    2zip locks 1 – – – – for what? Make sure to explain each item's use

[easilly NIXED]

food 102 – – – – – For how long of a trip???
    water 70 – – – – – – Approx 2 liters, right?
    fuel 5 – – – – – For how long of a trip???

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

"tq 20
    uq 12.9
    cutdown pad for feet/sit pad 2 < I personally don't believe in sit pads, and most hammock users use their hammock to sit in once they get to camp."

Note the weight of the underquilt – he's using it to cut the weight by letting him use a 3/4 or 1/2 length underquilt instead of a full one that also weighs 20. So it's more than a sit pad.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

First, sorry I didn't state that the list was a 5 day trip list, time of year Oct-April,so I built in temps to just below freezing, hiking areas TX Hill Country, Ozarks, Big Bend, so far. Mileage 7-10 mpd..just starting out, and I'm not into covering ground for its own sake. I'm female 130 lbs, 5'5" pretty small boned, not a lot of padding,and cold-natured.
    I spent some time at lunch today and nixed several of the same items you all suggested. I agree on nixing the GPS,MP3, batteries,paring down the FAK and toiletries,going with razor blade in place of knife,losing the towel. Agree with nixing camp shoes.The camera is my "lighter one" LOL

I guess I haven't made the leap to where I don't have any backups yet, especially in cold weather, but I do agree I could lose a shirt or two. The capilene thermals (top and bottom) are the pair I referred to, coupled with nylon pants for warmth when needed and to sleep in. The mini led,at .5 seemed like a good back up if headlamp died. TP much lighter than another bandana. I reallllly love my Lowa hiking boots, but agree that for carrying a load this wt. I can do without them.

Hammock is non-negotiable…no more sleeping on the ground for me, unless I'm in the desert…did I mention I'm 55? The pad is not for a sitpad but for insulation for feet/legs, as Lori pointed out. Could be used to break for lunch or rest if wet weather. Also I mis-stated the wt of the underquilt, it's 11 oz not 12.9. As for rain pants, in summer yes nylon would dry fast, but in winter these could serve as extra warmth. For me the PLB is non-negotiable, had a friend of a friend last fall whose life was literally saved by his SPOT. The bear spray is probably not necessary, but it gives me a little peace of mind:)
    I realize I have to change my mindset from canoe camping where weight isn't an issue to what I can carry on my back.

Thanks again, you did just what I needed, made me think about each item carefully.I have printed out your responses so I can keep chiseling away.
    Thanks,
    Leigh

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools