Topic

Under quilt used as Over quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Under quilt used as Over quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Richardson

@redmatt

Locale: Midwest

I was wondering if anyone has done this for any lengthy period of time. Also thoughts in general about it. Considering Jacks R Better Nest.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I used the Nest as an overquilt when I was in the Rockies outside of Durango this summer. Spent a week in a hammock, with a pad underneath and the Nest over me, down to around 30F. I was warm and comfortable.

As long as the quilt allows you to form a foot pocket it can be used as an overquilt. Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to use a flat quilt over me if I couldn't create a foot pocket, but it would probably work also.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

All the JRBs are multi function like that. My underquilt is exactly the same model as my top quilt.

The Nest is for use under the Hennessy with the bottom slit but is otherwise the same quilt as the Hudson River or the No Sniveller.

Matthew Richardson

@redmatt

I think I found a used No Sniveller and I guess I'm going to give it a shot. I will be using it on an AT Thru Hike. Mostly for ground dwelling. I may hang some though. Thanks guys. Next will be maybe a HH Hyperlite Backpacker Asym and poncho tarp. Let me know if you know anyone that has one for sale as I would like to hang in some of the warmer weather and feel my adventurer is too heavy.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

All you have to do is hang out in hammock forums for sale forum… been a lot of quilts for sale there lately.

Matthew Richardson

@redmatt

Do you know of any good ones?

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

good sales? or good quilts?

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

You have to keep going back – stuff sells fast.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

"All the JRBs are multi function like that."

The Mt. Washingtons don't; they're intended strictly as underquilts (not that you *can't* put one on top, but there's no foot pocket).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools