Topic

Poncho/ Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Poncho/ Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    w b

@lumen

im looking for a replacement for my US Army poncho to use as raingear and as a tarp. but much lighter of course. should not be too pricey too. pricerange like the golite poncho/tarp or less would be fine. what about the DRI DUCKS poncho ?

regards,L.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I like my Equinox poncho/tarp so far its the only one I've used. If I recall it cost about $40. It weights about 10 oz.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I rarely use it anymore, but I do like the SMD Gatewood Cape. I think it makes a much better shelter than a regular poncho does. Almost 12 oz, though.

SMD page:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45

BPL review:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/six_moon_designs_gatewood_cape_review.html

BPL member reviews:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=2442

Do you know about the MLD Rain Chaps, instead of wearing full rain pants with a poncho? See:

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=77

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

The Gatewood makes an excellent tent-like shelter, and has a full zipper front as a poncho.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

has there's listed for 45… if you're on a budget. I think it only has tie downs on the corners though.

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

It has grommets, but no provision for a mid-span attachment point on the short axis, which makes it problematic to set up in A-frame configuration. Works OK as a monk tarp. Get the long/backpacker's version if you do go this direction; the extra 1 oz or so is worth having the extra foot in length.

w b

@lumen

we are using the poncho as a tarp for two persons. so while the campmor has a good shape for one person i think anotherone wont fit in. i was just thinking, if i should buy a good dedicated lightweight poncho/tarp, or go the supercheap route with dry ducks ?
    my dealer here in europe has the golite poncho/tarp. is it worth the money ? i just read it is waterproof to 1200mm only. thats not too much right ?

L.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

Silnylon has been used on lots of shelters with much success. You may experience some misting in a hard rain, but most tarp users also use a UL water resistant bivy to combat this. I have a golite poncho tarp and like it allright. I do not like the fact, however, that once your shelter is up you have no rain gear (garbage bag).

w b

@lumen

very true, but i expect no rain on my trips with this gear. we also only set the tarp up if it rains.

me and my girlfriend share most of the equipment. i have a poncho tarp, shes got raingear. so if one needs to leave the tarp he can use the rainsuit. we also use one sleeping bag only (just like a two person quilt) and so on.

from the images it looks like the golite has attachment points in the center, the equinox hasnt.

L.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools