Topic

A new kind of list…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists A new kind of list…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

The unexpected and unfortunate happened to me last week – I happened to be in Santiago, Chile during the earthquake. While I was very lucky to be in a well made hotel, most of us slept out side for several days until the airport was able to re-open and get us out. I happened to be traveling for business, so didn't have my usual gear, but did manage to take a few things I often pack for international business trips –

– Silk bag liner
    – Small first aid kit (probably needs some work)
    – Patagonia down sweater

While it can get to 90F during the day, it can drop into the low 50's at night, and the sweater really helped.

In hindsight, there are other things I should have had with me, but didn't – like:

– Flashlight or headlamp
    – Water purification tablets

So – here's my question…what is a decent list of gear to take on a business trip that you have with you should something like this happen? And given all of the crazy weather/geological events happening in the world, I no longer believe "it can't happen", because it can.

Any and all input is appreciated – thanks!

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Locale: 38.97ËšN, 95.26ËšW

Scott, I'd always include a button down polyester, breathable tech shirt that could double for a nice shirt for dinner or hiking, etc. The same could be said about a khaki non-convertible hiking pant. Both items can be washed in a hotel sink and dried overnight.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Good call Lucas…I agree, and was lucky enough to have had a pair of EMS trekking pants, and a Columbia OmniDry shirt. Both were fantastic for the exact reasons you mention…

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Medical- first aid kit, identification
    Shelter- heat sheet
    Fire- waterproof matches
    Hydration- purification tablets, straw
    Communication- whistle, pencil/paper
    Navigation- flashlight, button compass
    Nutrition- lifesavers ; )
    Insulation- warm jacket, hat, gloves
    Sun Protection- use heat sheet if necessary
    Tools- blunt tip scissors, bandana

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Good ideas John – definitely a few things there I had not included.

Would anyone go to the trouble of packing a small tarp or light sleeping bag for int'l travel? Seems extreme, but having just come thru this I may be thinking overkill…

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I travel a lot, but not internationally.

Light, I have a Photon on my car key chain. I park the car at the airport and take the keys with me. This often comes in handy, especially when getting into a rental car with controls I am completely unfamiliar with.

I have a small toiletry kit with sewing items and hand sanitizer. I have a small bic lighter. So with a coke can or other convenience I could build a fire and boil water, but I have never thought about it. With some travel my clothes are in the suitcase on hangers. If I am going lighter, I bring one wire coat hanger in case the hotel doesn't have any (it does happen). I like the coat hanger for things like breaking into my rental car if I left the keys in it (hopefully my suitcase is not in it too :). Maybe I should start taking a little bit of duct tape though.

When traveling I usually wear some sort of a jacket on the plane, because I can get cold. But even not, if I am traveling for a period of time, I have several changes of clothes. So I could wear a couple pairs of pants, more than one shirt, sport/suit coat etc. etc. I always bring attire to be able to go out at night. I can use my extra socks as gloves or even wrap one around my neck to help keep warm.

I think I could be resourceful enough to handle a lot of situations, without bringing emergency gear. But your post has gotten me to think about what I might bring just in case.

Better yet, maybe I should buy some re-runs of McGyver and watch them. :)

Kevin Kerstens
    BPL Member

@kjkerstens

Locale: BC Canada

I travel a fair bit and usually carry my ID Poncho Tarp with me. It packs very small, about the size of a pop can and weighs very little. I use it mostly as a simple rain poncho but have on occasion used it as a tarp, once as a rain shelter watching the kids play soccer and once for shade when the only tree on the beach was taken.

One other thing to consider is a candle, I was recently travelling and the hotel I was in lost power. Being a hotel they didn't sell candles in the gift shop (afraid people will burn down the building I guess), so I was kind of stuck. I had a small lighter in my first aid kit but you can't sit around all night holding the lighter. Since I got back I have added a couple of tea candles to the e-kit.

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

I too have thought about the same kind of travel kit.

A few things I always take are the same Columbia Silver ridge shirt, some good convertible hiking pants, and a decent hat.

For a sleeping bag, for 3.6oz the Adventure Medical Kits Heatsheets Bivvy is nice. They pack down very small.

Add a Petzl E-Lite headlamp for less than a ounce.

A 1L collapsible Platypus bottle would be ideal for hydration along with the purification tablets.

A lightweight pack towel may be convenient at times.

Carry all these things in a small stuff sack that could double as a pillow stuffed with whatever is handy.

I suppose the Heatsheet that others have mentioned could also be used as a tarp, add some lightweight line to pitch it.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Traveling is my favorite thing to do. Over the years, I've learned that for hosteling (i.e. traveling within civilization — cities, towns and villages, with day trips out to the wilds) — all I ever need is a day pack to travel indefinitely to anywhere, and in most all weather conditions.

My pack is a 28L day pack, with total pack weight of around 12 lbs. For temps 32F and up, my pack is just over half full — so plenty of room to stash up for colder temps when needed.

Just as many 'traditional' hikers turn themselves into pack mules unnecessarily, the same goes for many travelers as well.

But for us UL hikers, it should be a cinch to morph into UL travelers (except for certain business trips and more specialized, gear-intensive trips). So in lieu of thinking up a separate "travel kit" in addition to the rest of your luggage — why not just incorporate both into one 'grab and go' day pack — and not be encumbered unnecessarily in your travels?

Last year, I went on a solo seven-month round-the-world trip. If anyone is interested in looking at my gear list, please click here .

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ben,

Nice insights. Actually on my last few business trips I have used my TNF Rucksack as luggage and carried my laptop in a small computer bag. At the end of January I had a meeting in Irvine CA in the morning, and took an afternoon flight LAX to Detroit. Had meetings the next day. And flew back the third day. When I landed in Detroit that night it was 8F.

This is how I did it. Wore a suit to my Irvine meeting, and on the plane. In my rucksack were extra dress shirts, socks, underwear, Montbell Ex UL down jacket, cap 2 tops and bottoms, wool socks and watch cap, glove liners, toiletry and a few other items. Had room in my pack for two fairly large books which I finished reading in the air. When I got to the airport I layered up with my clothes and it was pretty warm. For my meeting I had a fresh dress shirt and the suit was good to go. I have done similar on longer trips with milder weather. It sure is nice going through airports and shuttles with just a rucksack and small laptop, compared to what I did a few years ago.

I am so disgusted with the airlines, I am not going to give them a penny for any extra luggage :) even though my company pays for it.

James Byrnes
    Spectator

@backfeets1

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri

I know its heavy, but I travel with a Leatherman juice multi-tool Cs4. Have mainly used the pliers, knife and saw blade and on occasion the corkscrew. Rewired a faulty lamp in hotel, fixed zippers, and made a series of Pieut dead-fall traps to rid a rental cabin of a thieving rat.
    I also carry and often give away the small eyeglass screwdrivers sold by Swiss army (stowed in corkscrew). Eyeglass issues are more common to travelers than one might think.

Jarrett Lambright
    Spectator

@jlamb

Locale: Western PA

Personally, one thing I would want in an emergency situation is a knife. I am not up on the airline restrictions on knives (can you bring one in your checked luggage?)but I think a knife is about the best survival tool there is- it can provide food, shelter, protection, and many many other uses.

James Ayres

@traveler

Locale: SoCal

Hello Scott,

Are you still in Chile? Are you OK?

Jim

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Got out Wednesday night….first international flight out after the airport being closed for four days. Quite the week, to say the least.

James Ayres

@traveler

Hello Scott,

Glad to hear you got home OK.

I wonder if you would care to share some of your experiences. How were things there? Where did you sleep when you had to leave your hotel? Was there food available, water? Did aid arrive quickly, or were people on their own?

I travel six to eight months a year, have done for thirty years or so. Worked in over thirty countries. Got trapped in a high rise fire in Manila, and all the usual stuff that happens when you don't sit around in front of the TV.

I'm always interested to hear traveler's tales.

Best regards,

Jim

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Jim – I'd be glad to, but am not sure if this section is the right place. As long as it's OK here, I can post a brief report I wrote for my company.

Scott

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Scott:

Posting your Chile report here under Gear List — a lot of interested readers will likely miss out.

I recommend starting a new topic in the 'Chaff' section — where anything goes and where many like to lurk.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Whether or not one wants to carry a knife or similar is obviously a personal choice.

I always carry a multi-tool when hiking out in the wilds. But when hosteling, I never do — for two reasons: it's seldom critical and doing so nowadays can restrict your travels quite a bit.

Not a critical need — In my 15 years of travels (hosteling not wild camping) — I have never once needed a blade and regretted not bringing one. In terms of risk assessment, it's both low occurrence and low magnitude. Mostly, it just saves you the trouble of asking someone for a bottle opener or screw driver or such. When you are in civilization, a blade or multitool serves as a convenience and not a life saver.

Real Hassles

1. Need to check your bag if you've got a blade in there. If you love to pack a lot and need to check your bags anyway, then no issue here — but if you travel light — then it makes little sense to carry a blade and force yourself to check your bag(s) and subject yourself to additional wait time and risk loss of luggage!

2. More and more places public places now forbid tourists from entering with blades of any kind! I personally witnessed an American family denied entry into St. Peter's. Papa got so irritated that he insisted the whole family skip St. Peter's altogether — just because he was carrying a knife and didn't want to give it up. To go to the Vatican and miss out on St. Peter's is a real shame IMHO.

One "compromise" — bring a lightweight multitool if you just can't live without a screw driver, corkscrew and scissors — but yank out the 'offending' blade itself.

James Ayres

@traveler

Hi Scott,

I'll watch the forum Benjamin suggested. Or, if you want, send me an email. Would really like to hear your experiences. I worked in threat management for some years. Now i write.

Cheers,

Jim

email: [email protected]

My website of you want to see a little of my work: http://www.jamesmorganayres.com

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hikers are better prepared than many for handling disasters because we have a kit that can sustain us in primitive conditions and allow foot travel over long distances. We understand clothing needs, navigation, fire making, water purification, first aid, simple shelters and more.

I remember having some discussions after the Katrina hurricane disaster and the scenario of just walking out of the afflicted area. I live in earthquake and volcano country and be prepared is important to me. Carrying basics in my car is an easy thing to do. Having a little food, water, extra clothing layers and rain gear, gloves, walking shoes, a fleece blanket and signal gear isn't much of a challenge if you are used to organizing regular trips into the back country. A poly tarp, some rope and an old sleeping bag will cover you for some fairly extreme conditions. Google "bug out bag" to see how some people prepare a portable survival kit.

Covering "urban survival," my messenger bag has a flashlight, hard candy and granola bar, small first aid kit, sunglasses, bandanna, Leatherman tool, and small compass, gloves, hat, and a tiny FM radio. I went to long lengths to find a messenger bag with water bottle pockets and I head out with a full 27oz Kleen Kanteen every morning. Stainless steel water bottles have the option of being used for water purification as boilers, along with using MicroPur tablets. A can opener is a very good thing to have. Most Swiss Army knives have one, or an army style "P-38" can opener is tiny and cheap. The classic Altoids tin style survival kit is perfect for an always-with-you backup.

I do carry a survival keyring all the time. It is a small Versalink with a micro firesteel, Victorinox Classic, Fenix AAA LED flashlight, aluminum whistle, a micro spy capsule with daily medications, and another spy capsule with tinder quick tabs. The whole works is 2.6oz and it is the same one I carry for hiking. I also carry a Benchmade Griptilian folding knife.

Traveling with a knife is difficult if you don't check a bag. One option is to just buy a Swiss Army knife or other small folder when you arrive. You can mail it home when you leave if it is something you want to keep. I would expect to keep it at the hotel when visiting sensitive areas like St. Peters, the White House, etc. I remember going through security at the White House in 1993 and they didn't blink at my 3.5" pocket knife. Try that now!

I just got a Steripen which would be big on my list of travel gear.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Always in my pockets:

Heat sheet.
    Duct tape wrapped round a plastic tube containing water sterilisers.
    small coil of wire
    small hank of cordage
    Needle and thread
    Small folding knife (Gerber 400 Ginstar)
    Single LED torch (out of a novelty lighter)
    Piezo lighter
    pencil and paper

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"I remember going through security at the White House in 1993 "

I miss those days — basically, the terrorists have won. :(

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Whenever I travel on business, I always pack enough Cliff bars and tea bags to last me for a couple of days. I always have enough of a hat and jacket that I can stand outside in Chicago during the winter for an hour or two.
    –B.G.–

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools