Topic

Hi — question to Exos users

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
Mike M BPL Member
PostedMar 8, 2010 at 8:13 pm

agree- I have a 46 and hindsight being 20:20, I should have gotten a 34

most of my trips are 2-3 days, when they get at the week mark the 46 is fine, but most trips I wish I went smaller

PostedMar 9, 2010 at 5:53 am

Henry,

It all comes down to YOUR anticipated volume. Take your (realistic) gear and food for the longest trip you expect this pack to carry you. Do stuff your sleeping bag in the bottom of the pack instead of in a stuff sack. Try the 34 first and work your way up.

I've scanned my gear list to give you an idea of what I can squeeze in for a week (it's a pretty shoddy scan, but legible). YMMV, especially with food choices so bring your typical food along to pack in.

Who needs the 58? Winter hikers, family hikers carrying for others, hikers with large volume gear, long distance hikers with minimal re-supply. If you are in those groups buy accordingly.

Let us know how you go and good luck.

Travis L BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2010 at 5:57 am

Henry,
If you're near an REI, take all your gear–both your 3 season and winter kit–and bring it to the store and start packing. Be sure to leave room for food and water. Then you'll know for sure which one works best for you.

Or, like Nia said earlier, buy one, and try it at home. With REI's return policy, you can safely do this without fear of losing any money.

PostedJul 24, 2013 at 1:20 am

I have the Exos 46 but i am thinking of buying the 58. My gear is a Tarptent Moment DW, Montbell UL Spiral Down Hugger #3 regular, Exped SIM Lite UL 2.5 M, 2lt insulated hydration bladder, and some canned food depending on how many days i plan to hike. I try to put almost all my stuff inside the pack, the tent and next to it the sleeping bag or the sleeping pad (both of them don't fit in the pack one on top of the other) and on top the canned food and some energy bars. I usually put small stuff like towel, knife and gloves to the top lid or the side pocket. My main problem is that because the curved shape of the aluminum frame, it very difficult to push down the sleeping pad or the sleeping bag when the hydration bladder is full. The shape of the frame somewhat divides the pack in two parts making difficult to pack stuff that is wide and put it at the bottom. The middle part of the pack becomes narrow. Do you think that buying the Exos 58 might solve this issue and packing the gear i mentioned before easier, or there might be a better way of packing my stuff in the existing 48? I see in the specs of these packs that the 58 is only 5cm taller, the other dimensions are the same, so it might not be much bulkier.

PostedJul 24, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Go with the Exos 46 you won't regret it. If it is a tight fit you can always put your bladder between the back mesh and the pack. The only downfall I have with the pack is no bottom access, but you can do without as long as you pack well.

Jake D BPL Member
PostedJul 24, 2013 at 7:39 pm

you guys do realize the OP is from 3 years ago right….

Spotlight. When I had a lot of food in my Exos 58 (4-5 days) i put my tent under the top lid. use the orange strap to lock it down then put the lid over the top. saves space inside and still keeps things fairly compact. Also you could put the water bladder in the stretch pocket on the outside… or use normal water bottles

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
Loading...