Topic

where to buy pure dyneema

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear where to buy pure dyneema

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    sigurd grung

@sigurd

Hi, I want to make a new pants, from dyneema. Where can I get some? I can make from scraps, no problem, if anybody has any to sell. Preferrably dark colours but that will be scarce I guess.
    Tried Barrday, Fibermaterials Inc and even McHale – no luck.

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Planning on doing some bear rasslin'? (J/K)

Actually a pretty cool idea…but don't let the zipper get stuck or you'll never get them off.

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

try Warwick Mills for Spectra which is almost identical to Dyneema… There are several sources listed for Dyneema fabric if you do a google search, but as far as I know, absolutely none for consumers. I would imagine minimum orders run somewhere around $3000.00

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

What's wrong with the Dyneema fabric that Thru-hiker sells?
    –B.G.–

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

The fabric sold at thru-hiker is nylon with dyneema threads reinforcing it. The OP asked for full dyneema which is very hard to get for DIY and very expensive.

sigurd grung

@sigurd

thanks for the suggestion, I´ve talked to warwick earlier, they only weave to order and has no stock so small orders are out of the question.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

No, I'm afraid the OP did not mention "full."
    –B.G.–

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Thread title: pure dyneema (pure would be synonymous with full in this case)

sigurd grung

@sigurd

sorry, I ment full spectra/dyneema. even my leather pants gets torn up so I want to make a super strong pants and not make another for many years.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Chris, why don't you let the OP define what he means without putting your own meanings onto it?

Pure and Full are not equal.

Some pants will be made of very light material with some reinforced fabric only around the ankle areas. Other pants might be made totally of the reinforced fabric.
    –B.G.–

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

He did, and confirmed what I said.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I have no experience with whether either of these companies will sell fabric yardage, but both the McHale and Cilogear backpack companies build backpacks from dyneema (full, pure, 100%, awesome, call it whatever you want) and may be able to sell you a couple yards.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools